3 Field Assistants Jobs in Kenya
Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT), a not-for-profit organization
established in Kenya in 2009 by the Swiss-based Biovision Foundation for
Ecological Development, is situated on the main campus of the International
Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE) in Kasarani, Nairobi. The
Trust’s goal is to alleviate poverty and improve the livelihoods of smallholder
farmers in Kenya and other African countries, through dissemination of
information and knowledge on appropriate technology, to improve human, animal,
plant, and environmental health. BvAT supports the Biovision Farmer
Communication Programme (FCP), the Ecological Organic Agriculture Initiative
(EOA-I), Knowledge Centre on Organic Agriculture (KCOA) and other agro-based
initiatives in Africa.
BvAT is seeking to recruit qualified persons for the following
FARMER FIELD ASSISTANTS (FFA) – 3 POSITIONS
IN MURANGA, BUNGOMA AND MAKUENI COUNTIES
Job Purpose & Scope:
Contribute to the promotion and adoption of sustainable
agricultural practices and technologies through participatory, market-oriented
approaches to meet the needs of smallholder farmers while staying relevant to
the context of the project.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for an updated and resource center
consolidated database of farmers being (currently submitted monthly via
Kobo Toolbox) reached through FCP activities.
- Carry out farmer trainings to community groups to
provide relevant knowledge and skills development on ecological
sustainable agriculture practices and technologies.
- Promote use of organic and ecologically
sustainable farming methodologies through establishment of demonstration
plots in selected farms.
- Participate in field days and agricultural shows.
- Carry out school trainings and participate in
other school events to promote knowledge and skills development on
ecological sustainable agriculture technologies for school going children.
- Train farmer groups on sound organizational
development in order to benefit from better and more reliable markets.
- Conduct regular farmer visits and follow-ups to
deepen skills and knowledge acquired from other training activities.
- Using FCP participatory methods and tools, lead
farmer groups in participatory needs identification and analysis leading
to development of farmer action plans
- Facilitate linkages with organic sector value
chain actors with a focus to support improved access to markets by the
- Promote the use of FCP information and
communication pathways (TOF magazine, TOF radio and Infonet) to increase
awareness and knowledge on benefits of organic farming and environmental
- Proactively engage and coordinate with relevant
County governments departments, NGOs and other institutions in your region
of operation and foster mutual beneficial partnerships.
- Respond in a timely manner to queries raised by
farmers through visits to the resource centres and BvAT’s Tusemezane
- Complete in a timely manner staff appraisal with
the Farmer Field Officer in line with BvAT’s Appraisal system.
- Participate in monthly center project review
meetings and present your monthly activity plans and reports submit using
the provided templates (currently provided under the Kobo Toolbox).
- Perform other related duties as may be required
and assigned by the supervisor.
Education and Knowledge
- Diploma in organic agriculture, agricultural
extension, rural development, crop production, livestock development,
community development or any other closely related discipline in any
agriculture related field
- At least 2 years in a similar position
Specialized Knowledge and skills required
- Communication Skills (verbal and written)
- Facilitation skills
- Report writing skills
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Data collection and entry
- Computer skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
How to apply:
If you believe you are the right candidate for any of the above
positions and can clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the requirements,
please submit your detailed CV and application letter indicating summary of
your key qualifications and expected salary to
The closing date for applications is 9th November
2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for
Biovision Africa Trust is an equal