AAH-I Workshop Officer Job – Career Point Kenya
JOB OPENING- actionafricahelp.org/careers/
Workshop Officer – Kakuma
Action Africa Help International (AAH-I) is a regional African-led non-governmental organisation that supports livelihood-challenged communities in East and Southern Africa to sustainably improve their well-being and standard of living. With Country Programmes in South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda and Zambia, AAH-I has over 25 years’ experience working with communities in conflict and post-conflict situations, including refugees, internally displaced people and host communities. AAH-I expanded its activities to work with other marginalised communities, including pastoralists and people living in informal urban settlements.
Responsible planning, leading, organizing, and supervising the day-to-day activities of the Workshop Section, controlling the quality of repairs, annual PMS, implementation of HSEQ standards, and performance appraisal of subordinates
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads a group of at least 13 mechanics and helpers within at the Kalobeyei workshop.
- Supervise the trouble shooting and diagnostics procedure on vehicles and generators.
- Record observations and findings during diagnostics run and decide on the correct method of repair, as necessary.
- Ensure that warranties are properly followed up, monitored, and documented.
- Plan and organise Preventive Maintenance System (PMS) and delegate specific tasks to concerned section/mechanic.
- Forecast and order spare parts for specific jobs/special job or for stocks replenishment.
- Supervise and follow up on actual progress of each individual repair job.
- Establish appropriate set-up and budget to deliver an efficient repair and maintenance service.
- Monitor the sections productivity. Analyse section work performance and propose solutions to improve work productivity on a timely basis.
- Keep all records of vehicles and other assets under the right of use between UNHCR and Partners and ensure administrative function are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Provide on-the-job training as well as coaching and mentoring to mechanics and helpers.
- Follow up repair order, registering the time taken to complete each task.
- Responsible for customer service, reliability and dependability by providing all fields with the technical assistance that they require from the Workshop.
- Evaluate the training requirements of his subordinates and discuss/agree training needs with the management. Complete and issue the Pre-Dispatch Note.
- Conduct periodic risk assessment for the workshop.
- Good knowledge about power Generator’s ranging from 5kVA-500kVA necessary.
- Conduct annual performance appraisal of all direct subordinates. Signs and approves employee timesheets. Support and full comply with Organisational and Departmental policies and procedures.
- Establish project reporting and information system to collect workshop relevant and transparent information in time.
- Submit Workshop Monthly Monitoring Report including relevant analysis.
- Contribute to the production of contractual reports for the client.
- Line manage the Panel beater/spray painting technician; Plant and Auto Mechanics/mechanic welder and Plant and Auto Electricians
- Train Mechanics and reinforce their technical and organizational capacities.
- Supervise the completion of the Repair and Maintenance work by Mechanical Sections in accordance with the vehicle diagnosis
- Ensure staff wears protective gear while in the workshop.
- Degree in auto mechanical engineering/Higher National Diploma in auto mechanical engineering with more than 10 years of experience or its equivalent.
- The applicant is to have a minimum of 10 years’ experience leading a multicultural workshop team, preferably operating in Kenya.
- Professional technical qualifications in the vehicle and generator domain.
- Relevant training in administration/asset management and supplies
- Skills and competencies
- Well-honed leadership and management skills; with an ability to motivate others.
- Hands on ‘real-world’ mechanical experience and knowledge.
- Highly computer literate. Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (ERP software, email, Microsoft Office, Enterprise Resource Management, etc)
- Excellent grasp of the English language: verbal and written.
- Sound judgment informed by extensive practical knowledge and experience. Innovative, inventive and analytical, able to pre-empt and resolve problems with ease.
- Agile, responsive and good under pressure.
- Able to handle conflict and resolve differences of opinion. Heightened cultural awareness – able to relate and build relationships.
- INGO experience and understanding of humanitarian sector- an added advantage.
- Physically robust, able to operate in an austere environment.
- Open minded to change, new ways of thinking and constructive criticism.
- Inclusive by nature, able to build rapport and command respect.
- A team orientated individual who is consistent in nature, with a good sense of humour.
- A solution focused individual who has the ability to get the job done regard