Administration Assistant at United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
The United Nations Office for Project Services is an operational arm of the United Nations, dedicated to implementing projects for the United Nations System, international financial institutions, governments and other partners in the aid world.
The purpose of the position is to support the administration of all project activities in the field and enable proper project reporting and financial reporting to the client.
Methodology and Scope of the Assignment
UNOPS will under the direct supervision of the relevant partner focal point and in close collaboration with the responsible department and unit at the MOH at national level, the focus Counties, undertake the following activities guided by the Immunization Work plan and Detailed budget developed by National MOH and Partners.
Depending on the type of activity that UNOPS is required to support, provide the necessary administration, logistical and operational support to the client.
- During the campaign, facilitate the disbursement and payments of the campaign activities in multiple counties and their sub counties during the selected immunization campaigns.
- Verify all documents against the payments (as stipulated in attached budgets), e.g. payment schedules, invoices, receipts etc. These will be at the National, county and sub-county level.
- Monitor/ spot checks on implementation of activities
Monitoring and Progress Controls
Administration Assistant- retainer position will assist and maintain a database/spreadsheet of all the activities conducted during the project period including participants attended type of training, duration, presenters etc. The database/spreadsheet should enable statistical data at any given time and help in monitoring and evaluation of the performance and progress of the Training component.
Below are some of the functionalities for the position.
Assist with clerical and administrative duties, including but not limited to the following :
- Obtain quotations, organize transport for participants in the training events, maintain financial records and confirm attendance to the events, organize accommodation and meals, arrange training equipment in support of the event, place advertisements, confirm attendees, prepare briefing materials and project communications accurately and on time, explain costs and confirm payments to be made,keep records, make suggestions for improvements and make recommendations, be the focal point of communication in the County between the relevant partners
- Respond to partner queries and forwarding queries to UNOPS Project Coordinator to respond as necessary.
- Assist in the production of training documentation.
- Assist in the preparation of pre and post training activities and reporting.
- Have the ability to coordinate and facilitate the training events to the target groups required by the partners and actively participate and help in conducting the training events.
- Maintenance of accurate records (hardcopy and online) of all operational and financial transactions for easy reference and retrieval; document management, including file closures, archiving.
- Resolution of routine administrative and process issues, referring complex issues to the Project Coordinator with recommendations for course of action.
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with project staff and stakeholders.
- Take up any other additional responsibilities as may be assigned by the Project Coordinator.
- Completion of secondary school with four (4) years of experience is required;
- Diploma Certificate in economics, finance, commerce, accounting and or other related field
with two (2) years of relevant professional experience disciplines may be accepted;
- Bachelor’s Degree in economics, finance, commerce, accounting and or other related field will be an added advantage.
- 4 years’ experience working in an administrative position or similar role is required;
- One (1) year experience in financial management will be required;
- Experience in planning, field experience and coordination will be an added advantage;
- Experience in google suit applications will be an asset.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
Integrity and Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
*It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks. *
- This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Kenyan Nationals or persons with valid residence permits
- This position is based in a family duty station
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement -Retainer contract
Contract level: LICA 4
Contract duration:One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Kenya
The UNOPS Kenya office manages more than 60 projects in around 10 countries of eastern and southern Africa. UNOPS in Kenya helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: governance, education, health, the environment, grant management and rural development.
The post Administration Assistant at United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.