AFIDEP Editor NGO Jobs In Kenya February
Editor Job, Latest Communication Jobs,
Job Title: Editor
Job Location: Nairobi
Duration of assignment: The assignment will be for a period of three months, upon agreeing on the commencement date.
AFIDEP is seeking to engage a highly skilled editor as a consultant to steer the editorial process of AFIDEP’s 2020 Annual Report and other select documents scheduled for production on our 2021 publications calendar.
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is an African-led, non-profit, research and policy institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. We contribute to the realisation of the SDGs by enabling the formulation of sound development policies and programme interventions. We work to promote and entrench a culture of evidence use in development efforts in Africa.
Our focus areas: Population Dynamics and Demographic Dividend, Health and Well-being, Transformative Education and Skills Development, the Environment and Climate Change, and Governance and Accountability. At AFIDEP, we aspire for an Africa where evidence transforms lives, and we are keen to having our products communicate the change and impact we are making towards this goal in a compelling and engaging manner.
2020 Annual Report
AFIDEP is finalising the development and production process of the Institute’s 2020 Annual Report, which is intended to be published by 26 February 2021. The 2020 Annual Report is themed, ‘Informing African Governments’ Response to COVID-19’ and thematical covers issues of Health, Governance, Population and Sustainable Development. The current draft has gone through a series of internal and external review processes involving AFIDEP Board, Management and Staff. We therefore seek to engage an experienced editor with a proven track record and high-level editing, copyediting and proofreading skills for development-oriented publications or products.
The aim of the consultant is to:
- Edit, copyedit, and proofread the current draft of the annual report which is estimated to be about 8000 words.
- Make necessary revisions according to the AFIDEP House Style Guide (will be provided).
- Correct spelling and appropriate use of words with correct grammar and syntax, while maintaining the authors’ writing style to the extent practical.
- Ensure a consistent style and format throughout the document.
- Elimination of repetition and inconsistencies.
- The editing process may require substantive re-drafting and synthetizing of text for proper flow of ideas, arguments, and ensuring that the content is answering the “so what” question, and or communicating clearly the impact of AFIDEP’s work concisely and in a manner that is interesting and engaging to the reader.
Deliverables and Timelines
Under the overall supervision of the Communications Manager, the consultant is required to produce an edited, copyedited and proofread draft of the report not later than 23 February 2021.
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Languages, Journalism, International Studies or other related area
- At least five years’ experience in research communications
- Demonstrated, extensive experience as an editor for development-oriented publications
- High level English proficiency
- Ability to synthesize and simplify complex content into concise, key messages accessible to non-experts
- Experience in developing and packaging communications/institutional publications from technical content
- Excellent interpersonal skills and flexible attitude
How to apply
- Please submit a cover letter, a detailed CV and samples of their work to [email protected] not later than 19 February 2021.
- In your cover letter, indicate relevant experience, availability, estimated number of days to undertake the terms of reference above and your daily rate.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.