Archives Assistant (GS-4), (Nairobi), Deadline:23 February 2018
Issued on 14 February 2018
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: UN-Habitat
DUTY STATION: Nairobi
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: Archives Assistant (GS-4)
DURATION: Two Years
CLOSING DATE: 23 February 2018
UN-Habitat Archives and Records Management Programme ensures proper record keeping system and archiving of documents to support institutional memory and encourage organization learning, with the major objective of ensuring timely provision of information to support decision making.
- Supports the management of UN-Habitat Archives; ensuring that records are properly stored, safe-guarded and available for reference by authorized staff members;
- Arrange and assist with transfers of records from offices to the Record center, and provide retrieval services for Staff.
- Process new acquisition of records in accordance with the approved procedures and guidelines, ensuring that transferred records meet the required standards and are stored securely,
- Support the implementation of UN-Habitat Records Disposition Projects for physical and electronic records by coordinating with relevant UN-Habitat staff concerning secondary storage; ensuring proper preparation of background information.
- Implement records disposal procedures by liaising with relevant section coordinators to ensure that the disposed records are guided by the organization retention schedule, in support of disposition decisions
- Create and maintain manual accession register for transferred records to support of reference, archival arrangement and descriptions.
- Participate in the appraisal and processing of legacy record according to identified records groups and series, and provide relevant assistance to users regarding access to documents stored in the records Center and the Archives.
- Participate in the archival arrangement and description of records according to the agreed standards and administrative histories and provide records content analysis for purposes of series description.
- Coordinate the delivery of correspondences from UN-Habitat to UNON, Mail and Pouch Unit, and other UN offices as required, ensuring efficient and timely delivery of official mail to respective offices both internally and externally.
- Update systematically the UN-HABITAT Intranet Staff Directory, ensuring quality control and currency of the information.
- Scan and upload documents on Performance, Accrual and Accounting System (PAAS) Knowledge Resource Page as required
- Undertake any other duty as assigned by the Head of Division or Unit **
Professionalism: Knowledge of electronic record-keeping, relevant information systems and ability to manage records life cycle. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Communication: -Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;-Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;-Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;-Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;-Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Technological Awareness; Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology
Completion of secondary level education. A Diploma or post-Secondary training in Archives and Records Management or a related Information Management field desired.
Five years progressive experience in the field of Archives Administration and Records management, including managing records life-cycle in both paper and electronic format.
Experience of using computer technology is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
Familiarity with Electronic Records and Archives Management Systems.
Applicants may have to sit the Global General Services Test (GGST) as per OHRM instructions. **
See UN website http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/index.html
How to apply:
Applications should include:
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
• CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org) Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a personal History Profile.
• The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
• Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
- Educational Background (incl. dates)
- Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
- Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
- Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
- Expectations regarding remuneration
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
Please also be advised that since April 15th 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
UN-HABITAT e-Roster in order for their application to be considered. You can reach the e-Roster
through the following link: http://e-roster.unhabitat.org
All applications should be submitted to: Joseph Gichuki via email at Joseph.Gichuki@un.org
Deadline for applications: 23 February 2018
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com