Assistant Director, Drought Contingency Planning and Response NDMA 4 at National Drought Management Authority
The National Drought Management Authority (NDMA) is a public body established by the National Drought Management Authority (NDMA) Act, 2016. It previously operated under the State Corporations Act (Cap 446) of the Laws of Kenya by Legal Notice Number 171 of November 24, 2011. The Act gives the NDMA the mandate to exercise overall coordination over all matters relating to drought risk management and to establish mechanisms, either on its own or with stakeholders, that will end drought emergencies in Kenya.
The Authority therefore wishes to invite applications from suitable candidates for the five (5) vacant positions which are to be filled by 1st August, 2021.
The Drought Contingency planning and Response Function
Drought Contingency Planning and Response function entail: – coordination of the generation and publication of drought contingency plans at county level; production of national drought contingency plans; determination of the criteria for disbursement of contingency finance and production of relevant technical guidance and procedures; constant oversight of the drought status in Kenya and determination of the level of response required; aligning of applications for drought contingency finance with the agreed criteria and guidelines; facilitate prompt transfer of funds to the counties within the stipulated time period; development of monitoring and control mechanisms; and development and implementation of strategies for continuous capacity development of all those involved in the Drought Contingency Planning
The Job Purpose
The job holder shall coordinate county level management and implementation of systems and mechanisms that link drought contingency planning, financing, response and recovery to protect lives and livelihoods from extreme effects of drought risks and climate change.
Duties and Responsibilities
An officer at this level may be deployed as head of the Drought response Section/Unit. Duties and responsibilities at this level will entail:
- ensuring that the design of the drought contingency planning and financing system in Kenya is consistent with international best practice and subject to ongoing review and improvement, including through the integration of appropriate technologies;
- coordinating the generation and publication of drought contingency plans at county level, and the production of a national drought contingency plan;
- Ensure that the content of these plans is widely understood by relevant stakeholders and accessible through a national database;
- collaborating with the National Drought and Disaster Contingency Fund;
- determine the criteria for disbursement of contingency finance and produce relevant technical guidance and procedures;
- collaborating with the Drought Information Assistant Director, maintain constant oversight of the drought status in Kenya and determine the level of response required; ensuring that applications for drought contingency finance are in line with the agreed criteria and guidelines;
- Ensuring that funds are promptly transferred to the counties within the stipulated time period;
- developing monitoring and control mechanisms to ensure that drought contingency activities are timely and appropriate, and that all accountability requirements for drought contingency finance are met; and
- developing and implementing a strategy for continuous capacity development of all those involved in the drought contingency planning and financing system, through the provision of training, development of manuals and guidelines, or other measures.
Requirements for Appointment
For appointment to this grade an officer must have:-
- Served in the grade of Principal Response Officer or in a comparable and relevant position in the Authority or the public sector for a minimum period of three (3) years; or having served in a comparable position in a large private sector/ non-governmental organization for a period of 9 years.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following disciplines:- Range Science, Agriculture, Livestock, Economics or Sociology from a recognized institution;
- Master’s Degree in any of the following disciplines:- Range Science, Agriculture, Livestock or its equivalent from a recognized institution
- Certificate in Strategic Leadership Development Course lasting not less than six (6) weeks from a recognized institution;
- Certificate in Project Management from a recognized institution;
- Computer Literacy; and
- Demonstrated administrative and professional proficiency in work performance and exhibited a thorough understanding of national goals, policies, objectives and ability to relate them to proper management of the Drought Management Sector.
The post Assistant Director, Drought Contingency Planning and Response NDMA 4 at National Drought Management Authority appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.