Assistant Manager Quantity Survey at Kenya Railways
The current rail network in Kenya is the metre gauge commonly referred to as ‘The Lunatic Line’. It was initially named the ‘Uganda Railway’ after its destination. Its construction began in the Port city of Mombasa in 1896 and was completed in 1901 at the lines terminus in Kisumu. Operations on the line commenced in 1903. The Lunatic Line links Kampala in Uganda with the Indian Ocean town of Mombasa. Branch lines were built to Thika in 1913, Lake Magadi in 1915, Kitale in 1926, Naro Moru in 1927 and from Tororo to Soroti in 1929. In 1929, the Uganda railway became Kenya Uganda Railways &amp; Habours. In 1931, a branchline to Mount Kenya was completed and the main line was extended from Nakuru to Kampala in Uganda. The line is 1,000 mm and is a single track all through with occasional sidings and passing points to deal with opposing traffic.
Reports to the Design, planning and Environment Manager. Responsible for preparing of cost estimates, bill of quantities for construction projects to facilitate preparation of accurate tender documents to ensure the adequate budget provision for approved projects
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing direction, control and coordination of quantity surveying function.
- Formulating, implementing and reviewing policy on tendering and procurement procedures, financial and contract administration of building construction and maintenance contracts;
- Coordinating design and supervising construction and maintenance of buildings, civil works and research activities;
- Supervision Recommending registration of Graduate Quantity Surveyors in the Corporation
- Litigating and arbitrating in liaison with other engineering and Departments for all compliance matters relating to the function. Carrying out quality and cost control and standards for all construction projects
- Working closely with the bid/proposal team in the initial stages and with the project implementation team/engineering team when the project becomes live
- Verifying and validating of projects costing
- Preparing, managing and monitoring the sectional budgets
- Approval of all projects final payments certificates
- Identifying, analyzing and developing responses to commercial risks
- Preparing and analyzing costing for tenders
- Allocating work to subcontractors
- Analyzing outcomes and writing detailed progress reports
- Valuing completed works and arranging payments
- Management System for the division by ensuring that business process meets the requirements of ISO9001:2015 standard
Requirements for the Job
- Master degree in quantity surveying, project management, business administration or equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Bachelor Degree in Quantity Surveying or equivalent from a recognized Institution.
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ work experience and at least three (3) in a supervisory role in the Public Service or Private Sector;
- Professional membership with Institute of Quantity Surveyors of Kenya (IQSK)
- Proficiency in Computer applications;
- Fulfilled the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution
TERMS OF OFFER
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the right candidate.
The post Assistant Manager Quantity Survey at Kenya Railways appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.