Chief Operating Officer
Reporting to the Executive Director, the COO serves on the Executive Management Team of CFK Africa and guides and directs Head Programs, Research, Monitoring & Evaluation, Operations and Finance. The COO will represent CFK Africa externally with relevant stakeholders as needed.
- The Executive Director
- Head of Research & Development
- Head of Finance
- Head of Operations
- Head of Programs
- HR Business Partner
Key Work Relationships;
Internal: All Staff
External: Donors, Partners, Government Agencies, Community Groups, Suppliers
Reporting to the ED, the COO will lead all internal operations and will have the following responsibilities:
1. Organizational Leadership and Strategic Management:
- Working in partnership with the Executive Director and team, implement the 2025 Strategic plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it.
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization:
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget.
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization.
- Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; bridge operations and support an open-door policy among all staff.
- Work with the Executive Director and leadership teams, set strategy to maximize success towards CFK Africa’s vision.
- Provide quarterly updates to the ED on progress of implementation of the Strategic Plan.
2. Program Management:
- Ensure program and operational deliverables are met, maintaining a solid overview of progress against goals, budgets, burn rates, timelines and challenges while assisting with problem-solving where needed.
- Oversee sound planning, maintenance, evaluation, and improvement of all CFK Africa programs and operations.
- Support the design and development of new programs that may be appropriate and necessary in the Kibera community/similar settings and resonate with CFK Africa’s values, expertise and resources.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements including accurate programmatic and financial reporting and required interim and final reports.
- Submit monthly reports to ED on all CFK Africa activities.
3. Finance and Operations;
- Oversee creation and execution of annual operating budget and all required financial reporting.
- Support the Head of Finance to develop an accounting system that provides the organization with quick access to financial information and enables strategic budgeting.
- Support the Head of Operation to analyze the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology and operation systems that support the growth of specific programs and the organization overall.
- Development and implement systems for reporting, measurement and supporting revenue generation.
- Oversee the generation and review of timely and accurate monthly financial management reports.
- In coordination with the Head of Finance, establish a strong system of internal controls. This includes organizing periodic internal audits and assessments to evaluate effectiveness.
- Oversee the annual external audits and the filing of relevant documents with respective regulatory authorities.
- Work collaboratively with the CFK Africa Board of Directors: present to the board at quarterly meetings and serve on board committees.
4. Team Management and Development:
- Lead and provide direct supervision for the Senior Leadership Team (Heads of Programs, Finance, Operations and Research & M&E).
- Ensure that staff are mentored, supervised and evaluated in a way that contributes to an atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development while ensuring accountability to beneficiaries, partners, colleagues and donors by providing ongoing feedback in a context of mutual respect.
- In collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team, review and assess the status of policies, procedures and workflows, identify gaps or outdated policies and prioritize improvements.
- Empower staff to reach goals, with ultimate accountability for goal attainment.
- Identify members of staff to mentor for potential leadership roles.
- Recruit, mentor and retain high-performing staff that fosters the mission and vision of CFK Africa.
5. Program Quality Assurance/Research, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Provide guidance and oversight to direct reports and their staff to work effectively with the Head of Research & M&E and his/her team of technical program experts to ensure:
- High quality, optimal impact, sustainability, scalability and cost- effectiveness of all programs.
- Technical and operational needs are proactively addressed to ensure quality programs that meet the highest management, scientific and ethical standards.
- The accurate and timely reporting of program results and deliverables including regular highlights from the country and regional programs.
- Identify operational research needs and opportunities for partnerships and funding to address these.
- Support partnerships for research in CFK Africa program areas.
6. Business Development:
- Work with Head of Research and M&E to develop and implement strategies to meet long-term restricted and unrestricted funding needs.
- Work with Head of Research and M&E team to actively scope and identify new partnerships and collaborative opportunities that enhance the quality, depth and reach of CFK Africa’s work.
- Enhance data and processes needed for effective decision-making and fundraising, ensuring coordination and teamwork among technical, operations and business development staff in support of an efficient and robust proposal development process.
- Work with Head of Finance to optimize segmented accounting information to inform effective decision especially as it pertains to strategic investments in CFK Africa’s future.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance and/or a Master’s Degree in Project Management/Operations/Business Administration/Strategic Management or related field.
- Experience in budget development and implementation, financial management and reporting and leading operations.
- Experience in a program operations leadership and management role.
- Experience having lived and/or worked in informal settlements a plus.
- Competitive compensation with benefits for comparable senior executive roles.