Child Protection Caseworker at Terre des hommes (TDH)
Terre des hommes is the leading Swiss child relief agency. We are committed to improving the lives of millions of the world’s most vulnerable children. Children are the first to suffer in times of war, natural disasters and as a result of poverty. At Terre des hommes, our goal is to steadily improve the conditions of the most vulnerable children worldwide.
Reports to (Hierarchically): Project Manager
Number of subordinates:
Context: Joining Forces Alliance” is a global collaboration between six of the world’s largest child rights organizations – Child Fund, Plan International, Save the Children, SOS Children’s Villages, Terre des Hommes and World Vision; aimed to share learning and experiences and maximize impact on ending violence against children.
In Kenya the alliance works together, in the best interest of the child, to strengthen collaboration with the Government of Kenya Ministries, Departments and Agencies and other partners in ensuring that children’s rights are secured and that the principles of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child are upheld.
- Implementation of case management activities for children, their parents, caregivers and families in need of protection at Korogocho seltelment, Nairobi.
- Child Protection Casework Officer intervenes in the case identification and registration, Case planning, referral and follow-up of the beneficiaries in collaboration with Community Own Child Protection Mentors.
- Ensure that the consent/assent to proceed with the case management from both the child, the parent and/or caregiver and legal guardian for is sought.
- Supervises and provide training for Community mentors Own Resource Persons in structural case managementto reinforce their skills and capacity to conduct interviews, fill data collection forms, refer and follow-up with children at household level.
- Develop an individual action plan for each beneficiary that responds to needs addressed in initial and comprehensive assessments and seek support of the Project Managerwhenever necessary.
- Establish and maintain positive and efficient relations with target beneficiaries, community members and all the other actors operating in the operation are .Seek for synergies to optimize
resources and time, and strengthen services for the beneficiaries whenever possible .
- Regularly follow up the assigned case to ensure all services and action points listed in the case plan are carried out within agreed time frames. Ensure that progress is regularly reviewed;
- Regularly monitor and provide support to children and families through visits, providing guidance and advice.
- Work closely with the Psychosocial team members in the identification of psychosocial distress cases and makes appropriate references to Psychosocial team for help.
- Work closely with data team to ensure timely data entry to the ODK and feedback on follow up cases are generated as required.
- Ensuring that issues for chld protection are raised and addressed.
- Ensure the placement of children in alternative care adhere to Tdh procedure and with the Kenya Guidelines on Alternative Care.
- Be ready to respond to emergency cases.
- Participate in surveys and data collection when required.
- Promote, and ensure project activities are in line with, child protection principles.
- Ensure the project activities are integrated in the Korogocho child protection system and humanitarian / development coordination practices and guidelines.
- Report serious cases of abuse on children identified by the project team to the management team. Strict confidentiality must be respected.
Coordination and Representation:
- Coordinate with CP behavior change officer, advocacy officer officers and psychosocial team to ensure programe integration
- Work in close collaboration with Tdh partners and other key actors.
- Coordinate with other Tdh sectors to ensure implementation of standardized activities and with other departments (program and support) of Tdh as necessary.
- Participate in fora and meetings in her/his field of expertise, when relevant and necessary.
- Work with the Project Managerto provide accurate and timely activity reports.
- Maintain and ensure a culture of strict confidentiality between Tdh staff and non Tdh employees.
Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management:
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy.
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
Staff employed to work in Tdh will be expected to have:
- Professional conduct that reflects proper behaviour in accordance with local culture and tradition.
- Ensure the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defend in all circumstance
- Commits to observe discretion on any information related to the orgnisation functioning and beneficiary related issues.
- He/she will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and the Tdh Child Protection Policy.
- Professional University degree in social work, psychology, social sciences and any other relevant field.
- At least 2 years experience working with vulnerable young populations in need of protection;
- Experience working with extremely vulnerable individuals and SGBV Survivors in particular, is an asset;
- Good IT knowledge (Microsoft Office, Internet);
- Previous experience with Tdh or another child protection organization is desirable;
- Knowledge of protection system in Kenya.
- Required qualities: proactive, autonomous, rigorous, organized, good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili.
The post Child Protection Caseworker at Terre des hommes (TDH) appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.