Communications and Fundraising Officer in Kenya (with 6 month apprenticeship in Italy)
WEWORLD-GVC (Italy), Alianza por la Solidaridad (Spain), Acción contra el Hambre (Spain) and ActionAid Hellas (Greece) are international non-governmental organizations that have joined their expertise in management of humanitarian action worldwide and now implement the “EU Aid Volunteers supporting and complementing Humanitarian Aid in Middle East, Africa, Asia and Southern and Central America” project. The project’s aim is to improve the response and the resilience capacities of the most vulnerable local communities through needs-based humanitarian aid (HA) in the Middle East, Asia, Southern and Central America and Africa with the deployment of 58 EU Aid Volunteers and 4 online volunteers.
WE WORLD-GVC Kenya works in the counties of Nairobi, Homabay, Migori, Naork and Isiolo. The framework of political and social context in these counties can be considered almost safe without particular risks for expatriates, volunteers and local staff (particular attention needs to be paid in Isiolo county and frequent field assessments need to be conducted).
Contributing to the creation of materials to be published on the website and on the social media;
Planning the production of web contents;
Manage communication on social networks;
Manage the preparation and publication of the monthly newsletter;
Promote awareness campaigns and mobilization of funds;
Manage and enrich the photo and video archive of WeWorld-GVC;
Writing of articles and press releases.
Mapping of institutional and corporate/private donors in the region
Creating a first database of contacts to be managed;
Benchmarking of fundraising activities by other NGO’s in the region;
Develop a fundraising strategy for WW-GVC in Kenya to approach both institutional and corporate/private donors;
Develop communication tools or products tailor made for fundraising (according to the target audience);
Support the WW staff in fundraising meetings with the potential donors;
Assist the project team in day to day monitoring of the project in the overall implementation and management of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and information management for a high quality, innovative and effective learning programme;
prepare reports as required on the programming activities for internal, donor and beneficiaries;
support the sharing and disseminating successes, lessons learnt and best practices both internally and externally;
participate to the team coordination meetings;
support the organization of training sessions and project public events (launch events, workshops, etc.).
Communication and Awareness on EU Aid Volunteers Initiative
Promote local volunteerism;
Train local volunteers on organization and implementation of volunteer-based activities, when applicable;
Promote partnerships and collaboration between local and European organizations;
Draft and publish articles describing volunteer’s experience in the field;
Gather audiovisual materials to be used in a public awareness activity in the volunteer’s local community in Europe;
In coordination with the NGOs partner of the project, organize and execute a public awareness activity once back in Europe.
The EU Aid Volunteer shall perform other duties, as required.
Apprenticeship: An apprenticeship of 6 months is foreseen
Degree in communication, political science and related studies;
Specific media and communication studies desired;
Fluent in English both written and spoken;
Knowledge of Italian is an asset;
Excellent knowledge and good general knowledge of the full Office suite;
Intercultural awareness and respectful attitude towards other customs and traditions;
Good interpersonal, team working skills and ability to work independently;
Good ability to adapt to the situation of instability;
Ability to write reports and press releases; knowledge of web 2.0 and its potential for the internet positioning;
Knowledge of the main CMS, the application office and e-mail tools;
Knowledge and passion for digital technologies and the web marketing (including SEO, SEM, Google AdWords / AdGrant, Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / Linkedin Ads, HTML, CMS, web and social analytics); Knowledge in the use of photo editing tools (eg. Adobe Photoshop), and basic graphical management for text and graphics.
Good general knowledge of the full Office suite;
Previous experience in developing countries;
Professional experience in similar activities (communications office, digital marketing, publishing activities) of at least 3 years;
Prior volunteer experience is an asset.
CONDITION OF SERVICE
The EU Aid Volunteer will attend a 30-hours online training and a 9-12-days in presence training before her/his deployment. The in presence training will have a standard part for all the candidates and some optional modules, decided according to the competences of the EU Aid Volunteer and the needs of the hosting organization.
The EU Aid Volunteer will have a Learning and Development Plan for the on-going assessment of her/his competences during the deployment.
Working and Living Conditions
Length of Apprenticeship: 6 months;
Apprenticeship duty station: Bologna or Milan, Italy, WeWorld-GVC HQ;
Conditions of service during the Apprenticeship: A monthly Subsistence Lump Sum (547,12 Euro per month) intends to cover basic needs and local transport;
· A contribution for the accommodation in Bologna or Milan is foreseen;
· The working calendar will be corresponding to the agenda and system established in the HQ;
· For each month of voluntary activity two days of rest are foreseen;
Hosting Organization: WeWorld Kenya;
Length of Deployment: 6 months;
Deployment duty station: Nairobi, Kenya.
Conditions of service during deployment:
· A monthly Subsistence Lump Sum (515,95 Euro per month) intends to cover basic needs and local transport.
· In addition, for each month of deployment 100 euro of post deployment resettlement allowance are foreseen.
· Accommodation, Visa fees, insurance and airfares will be covered directly by sending and/or hosting organization.
· The working calendar will be corresponding to the agenda and system established in the field.
· For each month of voluntary activity two days of rest are foreseen, in addition to public holidays. It is highly recommended not to use the rest days during the first and the last month of deployment.
Conditions related to in-presence training:
· If a candidate volunteer is working outside of the EU, travel costs will be fully covered if EU citizens legally reside in a non-EU country for long-term or forever (i.e. who live in that country);
· EU citizens who are on a temporary assignment in a third country that lasts more than 18 months;
On the contrary, only travel costs from an EU country to the training venue shall be covered if:
· EU citizens on a temporary assignment in a third country that lasts less than 18 months;
· EU citizens selected by the same organization or affiliate with which they have an on-going assignment in the third country if this assignment is longer than 18 months;
Please note that more than one candidate per position will attend the training, to create an additional pool to cover drop-outs and unforeseen needs.
How to apply
Eligibility and exception criteria
The candidate for EU Aid Volunteers must be a citizen of the EU or a third country national who is a long-term resident in an EU Member State, and must have a minimum age of 18 years.
Availability for the following activities:
• Training in presence in October/November 2020;
• Pre-deployment induction in WE WORLD-GVC HQ, in Bologna in November/December 2020;
• Deployment starting from the date specified in the vacancy.
WE WORLD-GVC applies a policy of equal opportunities and accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Shortlisting and Interviews
• To apply, the candidate shall fill out the Application Form online, attach the CV, a Motivation Letter and the Self-Assessment Questionnaire.
• Shortlisting and interviews of the candidates: from 01/08/2020 to 31/08/2020.
• In case of changes of the dates, the candidates will be notified.
• All the interviews will be done online. The interviews have the aim to explore both the competences and the motivations of the candidates;
• The candidates selected for the training will be notified at least one month before the training. The date of the notification may vary according to the number of application received;
• The selected candidate/s will attend an online and in-presence training, which are part of the selection process;
• Please note that more than one candidate per position will attend the training;
• The final decision about the candidate to be deployed will be taken by sending and hosting organization after the training.
Expected date decision on outcome: 31/10/2020
For further information write at [email protected]