Communications Officer | ReliefWeb
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an innovative, self-motivated and highly skilled professional for the position of Communications Officer. The selected candidate will report to the Director of Communications, based in Mexico and work with the Global Maize Program Director and the Regional Representative for Africa, both based in CIMMYT Nairobi, to enhance the impact of CIMMYT’s work and build and nurture relationships with donors, policy makers, the scientific community, media and other stakeholders. The Communications Officer will actively communicate on behalf of key CIMMYT projects in Africa on a regular basis.
The position is based at ICRAF’s campus in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Implement a communication and media strategy to advance CIMMYT’s research-for-development programs in Africa, including media field trips.
- Lead and work with partners to develop and disseminate targeted messages to different stakeholders on the key projects implemented by CIMMYT in the region.
- Provide communication and media support to prioritized special events/workshops/meetings and conferences.
- Liaise with media to raise awareness of the value and impact of major projects implemented by CIMMYT in the region.
- In collaboration with the different research programs and the Director of Communications, generate compelling impact stories in various formats, across the region, to support CIMMYT donor relations initiatives in Africa.
- Coordinate closely with the Communications Manager and staff at HQ in Mexico on content, communications products, campaigns, etc.
- Oversee development and content management of project websites and online working spaces for scientists and partners, in collaboration with CIMMYT’s Knowledge Management team.
- Write, edit and oversee the production of publications, including newsletter content, scientific reports, etc. and link with HQ for branding consistency.
- Provide necessary writing/editing support of project technical reports.
- Lead new approaches to create and distribute multimedia content to the supported CIMMYT projects.
- Coordinate on a regular basis with local vendors (printing, graphic design, video) for timely, high-quality communications products, according to needs.
- In collaboration with the Director of communications, supervise the work of Communications Specialists in Ethiopia, Kenya, and Zimbabwe who will assist with the duties listed above.
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in in Journalism, Communications, or related discipline (a bachelor’s degree with relevant experience will be considered).
- At least 5 years of experience in science communications, marketing, public relations, media campaigns, and/or nonprofit communications.
- Non-profit organization experience or demonstrated understanding of the non-profit and/or agricultural research for development environments.
- Clear grasp of communications strategies and creativity in applying them to raise awareness of CIMMYT’s activities and achievements.
- Ability to express technical concepts in clear and simple language for diverse audiences, including the general public.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment. Working experience in Africa desirable.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English for diverse audiences and formats.
- Experience in Risk Communications is a plus.
- Proficiency in use of social networking and new media tools.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Decision-Making, Relationship Management, Problem-Solving, Innovation and Creativity and Multi-Cultural Awareness/Sensitivity.
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
How to apply:
Candidates must apply online to IRS19143_Communications Officer. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday January 20th, 2020. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo ([email protected])
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.