Computer Science Teacher & Digital Learning Specialist
Position: Computer Science Teacher & Digital Learning Specialist
Reporting To: Sr. Director Digital literacy, Education and innovation
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Type: National
Contract type: Fixed term contract – 1 year with possibility of renewal based on performance
Proposed start of contract: September 1, 2020
Specializations: Computer Science, IT, STEM, digital literacy, teaching
RefuSHE is the only organization in Kenya exclusively designed and dedicated to serve the needs of vulnerable refugee girls, serving both their immediate requirements for safety and security and their longer-term needs of healthcare, education, empowerment, and income generation. Founded in 2008, RefuSHE Inc is a U.S. nonprofit, headquartered in the U.S. and operating in Nairobi, Kenya.
Our mission is to protect, educate, and empower orphaned, unaccompanied, or separated refugee girls and young women and to help them build healthier and more resilient futures for themselves and their children. **
RefuSHE is looking for a computer/IT trainer and digital learning specialist to join its education team in Nairobi, Kenya. RefuSHE is in the process of building an IT lab and rolling out a Technology Training curriculum as a second vocational track. RefuSHE is looking for a skilled computer science teacher who is familiar with CISCO and Microsoft systems and curriculum. They should have experience training adolescents with an ideal background of trauma-informed teaching or working with refugees.
They will also play a key role in a new flagship program being launched by RefuSHE in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation and Kytabu. The program aims to develop an E-Learning and Wellness Platform for urban refugees, with a specific emphasis on girls and women. The candidate will serve as REfuSHE’s technology lead to ensure staff and students can use the platform intentionally and effectively. They should have experience in digital curriculum design, technology integration, and developing IT/
Computer Science/STEM curriculum for primary and secondary schools as well as adult learnings.
The candidate will work alongside the program team to digitize RefuSHE’s curriculum and trauma-informed approach and will need to have a strong understanding of how to translate pedagogy and methodologies to digital resources. Ideal candidate has a strong educational background, demonstrated technical acumen, advanced teaching skills, and a passion for working with young people. They should be proactive and self-motivated to advance the use of technology for education.
E-LEARNING & WELLNESS PLATFORM DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT, AND LAUNCH
· Effectively coach, engage, and motivate team members who are responsible for the production, implementation, management, and evaluation of the curriculum on the E-Platform.
· Serve as the main liaison between RefuSHE’s team and Kytabu’s team (Partner Ed-Tech Firm)
· Work with RefuSHE’s teachers, case managers, and counsellors to digitize REfuSHE’s curriculum, approach, and methodology
· Work with senior leadership to drive utilization of student-centered digital curriculum
· Work with RefuSHE’s technology partner Kytabu to identify best practices for digitizing the ideal “learning journey” for urban refugees
· Train RefuSHE staff and students on how to effectively use the platform
· Train community members on platform use during beta-testing and official launch
IT LAB & VOCATIONAL TRAINING CURRICULUM DESIGN
· Responsible for launching and managing RefuSHE’s IT Teaching Lab
· Will be trained in CISCO systems and training materials
· Design effective and appropriate training curriculum using CISCO’s modules as well as creating additional modules
· Responsible for creating a robust vocational track to support refugee girls and young women to gain expertise in computer science and digital media to support their ability to gain income generating opportunities
· Serve as RefuSHE’s main technology/computer science teacher and recruit part-time and full-time trainers as the vocation track is built and grown
· Suggest solutions for increasing access to STEM education for refugee girls and women.
· Oversee program implementation and design to deepen RefuSHE’s impact in the field of refugee IT, digital media, and computer science education
· Lead the program team to develop creative and outcome driven program activities and interventions
· Ensure that all programs are developed and implemented with a trauma-informed lens
· Strengthen program design to elevate RefuSHE as a strong and desirable contender for funding, partnerships, and recognition for excellent service and outcomes
· Ensure program quality through rigorous assessment, design, development, comprehensive data collection and tracking
· Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with international, federal, state, and local regulations
· Work with Education Officer and Associate Director of GEP to strengthen and build RefuSHE’s academic offerings
This position is responsible for educational technologies and multimedia training as well as supporting the design, development, and launch of RefuSHE’s new Learning Management System (E-Learning Platform). They must have strong interpersonal skills and technical knowledge as well as experience in distance education methodologies and instructional design processes. Understanding and experience in online and videoconference instructional course design. The ideal candidate should be a highly effective, organized, and flexible leader and digital innovator. S/he will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills and characteristics:
· A Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as education, education technology, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field of study is required
· Master’s degree or equivalent in Education Technology preferred
· 5-10 years of teaching and training experience
· Experience teaching adolescent girls and young women with high vulnerabilities preferred
· Demonstrated experience in areas of digital curriculum design, technology integration, and computer science and digital media instruction and training a plus
· Demonstrated experience working in the Ed-Tech space including designing digital literacy curriculum, working on education technology platforms, training schools, students, or teachers in digital tools preferred.
· Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· The ability to work and live in Kenya; fluency in English and Kiswahili
· Language skills in French or local dialects spoken in Somalia, Congo, and South Sudan a plus
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is competitive and based on the candidate’s experience and qualifications. The benefits package includes medical healthcare coverage and pension.
How to apply
To express your interest in this role, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] indicating the position title in the email subject. Please note applications without a thoughtful cover letter will be considered incomplete.
Human Resources & Administration Manager
P.O. Box 63192-00619, Nairobi
Closing date for applications is July 31, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted