Corporation Secretary/Director Legal Services at Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS)
The Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) has remained the premier government agency for the provision of Standards, Metrology and Conformity Assessment (SMCA) services since its inception in 1974. Over that period its main activities have grown from the development of standards and quality control for a limited number of locally made products in the 1970s to the provision of more comprehensive Standards development, Metrology, Conformity Assessment, Training and Certification services. With the re-establishment of the East African Community (EAC) and Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), KEBS activities now include participation in the development and implementation of SMCA activities at the regional level where it participates in the harmonization of standards, measurements and conformity assessment regimes for regional integration. KEBS operates the National Enquiry Point in support of the WTO Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT).
The incumbent shall be responsible for management of Corporate Legal Affairs, provision of Company Secretarial services and implementation of the Mwongozo Code of Governance for State Corporations. The incumbent will also ensure effective and efficient management of contract administration, company insurance, and compliance with legal and regulatory legislation including provision of secretarial services as well as legal advice to both the NSC and management team.
Key Responsibilities / Duties / Tasks
Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and ensures efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the Legal Services Directorate.
- Provides professional guidance to the NSC, Management and Staff on compliance with good corporate governance practices.
- Develops work plans and budgets for the Directorate for approval.
- Oversees the execution of the approved Directorate work plans and budgets.
- Oversees performance management in the Directorate.
- Prepares and submit monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for the Directorate.
- Prepares NSC management papers for approval.
- Identifies training needs for the Directorate staff.
- Participates in the development and review of the organization’s strategic plan
- Identifies procurement needs for the Directorate.
- Mentors and coaches the Directorates’ staff; and
- Participates in various committees in the organization
Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Organizing for NSC meetings.
- Taking minutes during NSC meetings and following up on action points
- Liaising and communicating with the NSC and other stakeholders.
- Coordinating NSC evaluations, governance, and legal audits.
- Developing and reviewing NSC charters and other governance instruments.
- Enhancing good corporate governance by formulating policies and procedures relevant to the organization.
- Developing and implementing the organization’s Legal strategies.
- Drafting and reviewing the organization’s and third parties’ contracts.
- Providing legal opinions on issues affecting the organization.
- Handling litigation and disputes involving the organization.
- Liaising with the organization’s external lawyers on matters they are handling for the organization.
- Providing legal advisory services to the organization on all legally binding contracts and documents so as to ensure statutory compliance.
- Developing and managing the Directorate of legal services budget.
- Maintaining custody of all legal documents, contracts and security documentation for the organization.
- Overseeing the registration and protection of the organization’s intellectual property rights.
- Overseeing conveyance matters.
- Coaching, mentoring and managing the legal team to ensure optimal staff performance.
- Undertaking any other duties of similar level and responsibility as may be directed from time to time
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills).
- Bachelor’s degree in Law
- Master’s Degree in relevant field
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
- Practicing Certificate from Law society of Kenya
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Diploma in legal studies
- Advocate of the High Court
- Leadership Course lasting not less than four (4) weeksManagement Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks
Previous relevant work experience required.
- At least 12 years work experience with 8 years in a Managerial role.
The post Corporation Secretary/Director Legal Services at Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.