Deputy Chief of Party DCOP – USAID Somalia Evaluation, Learning and Monitoring Initiative (ELMI)
EnCompass seeks Deputy Chief of Party candidates at multiple levels for an anticipated United States Agency for International Development (USAID) evaluation, learning and monitoring initiative (ELMI) for Somalia.
Based in Nairobi, this anticipated 5 year project will provide USAID/Somalia with a central platform for the procurement of support services that will strengthen, support, and facilitate USAID’s capacity for utilizing MEL approaches that will improve development outcomes and strengthen the capacity of USAID/Somalia’s strategic partners. The program will also provide support to USAID/Somalia and implementing partners on performance monitoring, data verification, evaluations, organizational learning and capacity building, and knowledge management.
In addition to providing overall leadership, management, and technical direction, the DCOP will have experience working in performance management, organizational development, strategic decision-making, quality control, and project learning, preferably in the USAID context and with Collaboration, Learning and Adapting (CLA) practices.
We are looking for someone who can facilitate learning and build relationships, with high political acumen and strong conflict prevent and management skills. S/he must be an inclusive leader, who can navigate change with flexibility and emotional resilience. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience focusing on results and impact, with strong strategic vision and an understanding of systems approaches to programming. S/he will understand how to foster a culture of continuous improvement and learning and will maintain high self-awareness and personal improvement skills.
The position will be full-time and be based in Nairobi with travel throughout the region, including across Somalia.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
The DCOP will serve as the technical lead for the activity, providing guidance to and supervising both international and national staff and consultants. The DCOP will design and oversee the implementation of evaluations, analyses, designs and assessments, and the full review, revision and maintenance of the Office PMP, Project M&E Plans, and IP M&E Plans. He/she should also have experience designing evaluation methodologies, participatory data collection methods, and protocols for both performance and impact evaluations. The DCOP also serves as the lead on the annual DQA.
Essential functions include:
- Oversee production and ensure the quality of all assessments, analytical reports, evaluations, and other technical deliverables to USAID.
- Provide technical oversight of the program to ensure all activities and deliverables are executed with quality and timeliness
- Lead and manage the annual data quality audit process (DQA)
- Update project management plans and contribute to the development of project log frames and M&E Plans for the USAID
- Design and manage collection of baseline data at the IR and TO levels.
- Design and oversee training of USAID staff and IPs in performance management concepts and processes; standardization of partner M&E Plans, work plans, and quarterly reports; and verification of partner data quality.
- Advise all IPs on the creation of aligned log frames and M&E Plans for their activities.
- Assist technical staff to review and revise the intermediate results in their results frameworks, as necessary, for more effective implementation and monitoring.
- Periodically review and discuss indicators and reporting with IPs and activity managers, and help operationalize indicators by assisting USAID technical staff with definitions, data collection, and data analysis.
- Provide technical assistance and training, as needed, for USAID, IP and government counterpart staff (to the extent they are involved in USG projects). Other duties as assigned
- At least 5 years of overseas experience in international development designing and managing evaluations, analyses and assessments, including the design of the evaluation methodology, participatory data collection methods and protocols, and data verification techniques.
- Prior experience in a high threat environment.
- Prior experience in supervising long-term field staff and short-term experts of diverse backgrounds in the area of monitoring and evaluation.
- At least 3 years of demonstrated experience developing performance management plans, monitoring project implementation, and verifying data from large development projects.
- A graduate degree in evaluation, international development or a relevant technical field (social science, economic, development studies or a related field)
- Former supervisory experience is required
Experience and Skills
- Prior experience as a senior manager or DCOP leading complex donor-funded projects; experience managing USAID projects strongly preferred
- Professional experience in Africa; knowledge of / experience in Horn of Africa and/or Somalia strongly preferred
- Strong experience with evaluation standards and practices required
- Experience working in performance management, strategic decision-making, and project learning
- Experience building monitoring, evaluation, and learning capacities of USAID staff, implementing partners, and government counterparts highly preferred
- Experience managing complex relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to work with host-country governments at different levels
- Substantial experience in managing a team using mixed research methods of similar magnitude
- Strong communication, supervision, and management skills required
- Working knowledge of and experience with USG-funded program management, policies, regulations and procedures
- Strong familiarity with USAID evaluation and CLA practices, including ADS 203
- Familiarity with USAID/Somalia Mission is preferred
- Excellent communication, both verbal and written English skills
How to apply
Please submit CV and cover letter, and complete the application: