Deputy Chief Radiation Officer at Ministry of Health
Vision A Healthy, productive and globally competitive nation Mission To build a progressive, responsive and sustainable health care system for accelerated attainment of the highest standard of health to all Kenyans Goal Attaining equitable, affordable, accessible and quality health care for all Mandate Health policy
No of Positions: 3
Salary Scale: Kshs.98, 500 – Kshs .166, 780 p.m. (CSG – 6)
House Allowance: Ksh.20,000 – 50,000 p.m. (depending on duty station)
Commuter Allowance: Ksh.16,000 p.m.
Leave Allowance: Ksh.10,000 (once yearly)
Medical Cover: As provided by the government
Terms of Service: Permanent and Pensionable
For appointment to this grade, an officer must have;
- served for a minimum period fifteen (15) years and currently serving at the grade of Principal Radiation Protection Officer (CSG 8) and above or in comparable and relevant position in the public service or private sector;
- a Bachelor of Science Degree in in any of the following disciplines: Physics, Chemistry, Nuclear Engineering, Physical Sciences with a bias in Atomic, Radiation or Nuclear Science or equivalent qualification from a university recognized in Kenya;
- attended a Certificate Course in Radiation Protection lasting not less than three (3) months from a recognized institution; and
- demonstrated professional competence as reflected in work performance and results.
Note: possession of a Master of Science degree in a relevant field from a university recognized in Kenya will be considered an added advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities
An officer at this level will be deployed in any of the following sections: –
- Inspections and Licensing Duties and responsibilities will include:
- overseeing inspection and review of radiation sources, facilities, activities and workers;
- coordinating inspection and assessment of import and export points/sources of radioactive and nuclear materials;
- coordinating assessment and review of radiation protection plans from users of radiation sources;
- supervising assessment and review of emergency preparedness and response plans for radiation protection and nuclear safety and security;
- coordinating development of IEC materials for public sensitization against exposure to radiation;
- maintaining and ensuring safe custody of the Regulatory Authority Information System (RAIS); and
- coordinating assessment and examination of radioactive and nuclear materials for authorization for transportation.
Non-Ionizing Radiation Duties and responsibilities will include:
- coordinating mapping of environmental radiation levels and overseeing radiation and audit surveys for users of radiation;
- prioritizing instances of Non-Ionizing Radiation suspected exposure;
- reviewing of Non-Ionizing Radiation standards and codes of practice;
- conducting Non-Ionizing Radiation Exposure measurements;
- coordinating radiological research activities and outcomes and ensuring implementation of research findings;
- forming collaborations with universities and other relevant learning institutions in researching on radiation and nuclear safety and security.
Nuclear Security and Radioactive Waste Management Duties and responsibilities will include:
- interpreting Radioactive Waste Management policy and guidelines;
- coordinating development of IEC materials for public sensitization on Radioactive Waste Management;
- overseeing auditing of the illicit and trafficking database and coordinating radioactive waste management activities and programmes;
- coordinating assessment and evaluation of the level of awareness on nuclear safety and security;
- facilitating implementation of nuclear safety and security treaties, agreements and resolutions;
- ensuring development of a Central Radioactive Waste Processing Facility (CRWPF) and supervising operations of the CRWPF; and
- undertaking mapping of environmental radiation levels and monitoring environmental radiation and radioactivity levels and disposal of radioactive materials.
The post Deputy Chief Radiation Officer at Ministry of Health appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.