Director of Operations | ReliefWeb
Purpose of the role
The Director of Operations will have top line strategic responsibility across AECF’s core functions including Finance, HR, ICT, Procurement and Grants Compliance Management. The role is responsible for maximizing operational and financial efficiencies across the organization.
The ideal candidate will have a unique blend of long-term strategic vision and operational practicality, an exceptional track record of achievement in a similar role – ideally (but not essential) within non-profit sector, and the energy and passion to thrive in an environment of continuous change and transformation. It is a great opportunity for a focused, ambitious experienced executive who thrives on managing change, developing long term strategies and inspiring high performing teams towards common objectives.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities;
• Translate strategy into actionable goals for performance and growth helping to implement organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and annual operating plans
• Provide oversight over AECF’s operational standards, policies, procedures and systems across all the support functions
• Oversee IT function, ensuring clarity on fit-for-purpose ICT architecture and implementation of efficient, cost effective and high performing solutions
• Lead the analysis of the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology and financial systems that support the growth of AECF’s programs and the entire organization
• Oversee corporate financial strategic planning, including both short-term and long-term analysis.
• Oversee all aspects of cash flow, cost allocation, budgeting, forecasting, financial statements, consolidations, and financial modeling and analysis.
• Ensure AECF financial procedures are efficient, meet donor requirements, and are understood and implemented across the organization
• Undertake ad hoc financial analysis from time to time, to assist the leadership in evaluating potential for cost efficiencies
• Ensure timely submission of all external reporting to donors and other stakeholders as required
• Develop, continuously improve and implement the organization’s approach to risk management
• Oversee HR systems, employee relations, ensuring compliance with regulations, assessing staffing needs, recruitment, designing training programs, and developing compensation plan
• Oversee procurement function including processes and systems, and monitoring of supplier performance and maintaining virtuous supplier relationships
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and a master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or related field
• Be a full practicing member in a professional field backed with relevant certifications e.g. CPA-K; IHRM; CIPS
• At least seven to 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally six-plus years of broad financial and operations management experience
• Experience leading teams and operations within organizations that have over 30 employees, with 5+ years of working in Sub- Saharan Africa
• Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resource function previously
• Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and other colleagues who do not necessarily have finance background.
• A track record in grants management
• Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with ICT solutions vendors
• Must be an exceptional leader with ability to effectively manage, lead and supervise a multidisciplinary team
• A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of AECF