Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Specialist
Title: Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Specialist
Location: Kenya Country Office
Reporting Relationship: Program and Sponsorship Director
Based in the ChildFund Kenya Country Office and reporting to the Program and Sponsorship Director, the Disaster Risk Reduction Manager will provide technical leadership and support in the disaster risk reduction and emergency response for ChildFund Kenya (70%) and ChildFund Uganda (30%). The post will support ChildFund and its Local Partner (LP) Organizations to develop and implement community-based disaster prepared, mitigation, response and resilience strategies and plans. S/He will closely work with other program managers and specialists integrate DRR in all program designs and project activities in Kenya and Uganda.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Lead, manage, supervise and provide technical support to the DRR and resilience programs in ChildFund Kenya (70%) and Uganda (30%).
· Build Capacity of ChildFund and LP staff in community managed disaster risk reduction (CMDRR) and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) approaches,
· Guide and contribute to effective and timely implementation of CMDRR and CCA interventions and initiatives with communities and partners.
· Plan and oversee the implementation of emergency response activities whenever disasters occur,
· Lead and guide the development and regular updated of County contingency planning process and Country contingency plans as necessary,
· Jointly with partners carry out vulnerability and capacity assessment exercises and develop and update hazard risk maps and emergency response plans,
· Support Project Manager/Officer in carrying baselines, assessments, designs, monitoring and evaluations and document lessons learnt and recommendations as per ChildFund and donor requirements and procedures,
· Effectively participate and represent ChildFund in all relevant DRR forums, networks, any other stakeholder coordination platforms and ensure the voice of ChildFund as a champion of children is proactively articulated,
· Establish and develop work related linkages and relationship with national and county government structures, UN Agencies (WFP, UNICEF, UNIFEM, UNWomen etc), donor and other INGOs for lesson sharing and fostering relevant partnerships,
· Work closely with the program technical team (program managers, specialist and Area Manager) to develop strategies that integrate DRR, resilience and CCA in child-focused program design, planning and implementation,
· In collaboration with the Grants Acquisition Team, participate in development of project proposal, concepts note and other documents required for resource mobilization/acquisition for DRR, CCA, and emergency response and recovery interventions;
· Prepare, review and/or compile monthly, quarterly and annual reports country program and donor reports,
· Participate in ChildFund Kenya and Uganda Country Emergence Response Team (COERT) meetings and other county designated DRR planning meetings,
· Regularly document success stories, key learnings/innovation for sharing across countries, LPs and other partners.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
· The job holder must have at least a Degree in Disaster Management, Development Studies or any other discipline in social sciences. A master’s degree will be an added advantage,
· Demonstrable technical capacity in disaster risk management, resilience, climate change adaptation, and rural development,
· Minimum 5 years’ experience in designing and supporting the implementation of DRR and resilience building through livelihoods programs,
· Preferably experience in leading and managing multi-county DRR program, and
· Strong cross-cultural skills and a demonstrated ability to influence change without direct authority, and to work successfully with community manage disaster risk reduction (CMDRR).
· ChildFund International is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
How to apply
· Application Procedure **
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should send their applications to [email protected] to reach us not later than Friday, 22nd May 2020 to;
Human Resources Director
P.O. Box 14038-00800,
· Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job disclaimer and notification:
Beware of scams – ChildFund Kenya does not ask for payment at any point during our recruitment process.