Drupal Web Developer at UN Human Settlements Program
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the UN agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
Department/Office: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Job Opening Number: 20-United Nations Human Settlements Programme-137515-Consultant Staffing Exercise N/A
Result of Service
Update to Drupal 9 core for UN-Habitat website, e-Learning feature implementation and update and maintenance of other programme websites.
6 months Duties and Responsibilities
The UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency responsible for urbanization and human settlements, mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities. The consultancy is based in the Communications, Media and Outreach Section, External Relations, Strategy, Knowledge and Innovation Division.
The consultancy aligns with the broader strategy for all knowledge and advocacy platforms:
- Strengthen electronic platforms to make them more functional, user-friendly and visually appealing;
- Re-organize advocacy and technical content to raise the profile of UN-Habitat’s work;
- Give visibility to work in countries and global programmes, and
- Position UN-Habitat as a centre of excellence in sustainable urbanization.
OBJECTIVE OF THE POST AND SPECIFIC TASKS:
- Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Communications and the direct supervision of the Head of Production, the web developer will be responsible for:
- Web development, primarily in Drupal, including theming and front-end development
- Collaborate with designers, writers, project managers, clients and other developers to ensure effectiveness and quality
- Take part in the technical reviews and testing processes
- Work with other team members and stakeholders
- Create and update documentation
- Shows pride in their work and in achievements; demonstrated ability to think strategically, to analyze complex information and offer creative, practical solutions, is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations and promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN-Habitat. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Planning and Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two way communication; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; excellent drafting ability and communications skills, both oral and written; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; proven ability to communicate complex concepts orally; ability to prepare written reports that are clear, concise and meaningful.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits inputs by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Technological Awareness:
- Keep abreast of available technology, understand applicability and limitations of technology; Actively seek to apply technology to appropriate risks; and show willingness to learn new technology.
University degree in information technology, computer science, information science or related discipline required
- 5 years of demonstrated experience in web design and development, primarily with Drupal required.
- Experience with Drupal theming and front-end development required.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Development workflows an added advantage
- Experience with software development best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations desirable;
- Advanced proficiency in developing/implementing content with Drupal core modules, contributed modules, and custom modules an added advantage.
- Knowledge of search engine optimization techniques desirable.
- Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
The post Drupal Web Developer at UN Human Settlements Program appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.