ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE TEAM LEADER
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi also houses centre of expertise teams that support the whole organization globally, of which the Environment and Climate Change team is one.
In coordination with the Environment and Climate Change Adviser, the Environment and Climate Change Team Leader oversees the implementation of the Sustainable Delegation Process and manages the team of Environment and Climate Change Specialists in Nairobi, with the objective of efficiently supporting delegations globally to reduce their environmental footprint. S/he also brings technical expertise in project management as well as one of the priority environmental aspects (sustainable energy, (hazardous) waste management, water management, resource consumption, climate change / greenhouse gas emissions).
Tasks and responsibilities
· Manages the Environment and Climate Change team in Nairobi, including Specialists in specific key technical areas;
· Ensures that the Sustainable Delegation Process, an annual cycle of environmental data collection, analysis, performance assessment, action planning and footprint reduction at delegation level, is implemented on time and continuously improved;
· Supports the team members in their engagement with delegations, thereby contributing to creating a vibrant global community of environmental practitioners at the ICRC;
· Maintains an overview of the progress of the different projects the Environment and Climate Change team in Nairobi is engaged in, including work plans, status of deliverables, management of interdependencies and risks, and ensures the qualitative delivery of all documents produced by the team;
· Presents the ICRC’s sustainable development approach and environment and climate change orientations at internal or external national and/or regional events and supports the team during their internal and/or external presentations;
· Represents the team in internal meetings at the Regional Delegation in Nairobi and liaises with selected stakeholders;
· Provides project management tools and expertise to the Environment and Climate Change team and coaches the team members to improve their project management skills;
· Performs environmental assessments in office environments, workshops/warehouses, and in humanitarian project fields and complements the findings with recommendations on mitigation actions, capitalizing on best-practices from delegations and the field and sharing guidelines, frameworks, tools and information among delegations;
· Establishes and maintains a network of, and close communication with, key humanitarian players.
Minimum Requirements and competencies
- University degree (master level) in one of the following areas: sustainable development, environmental science, waste management, engineering, electrical engineering;
- Minimum 10 years’ work experience, including 5 years’ experience in project management and 5 years with people management responsibilities;
- Proven capacity for analysis and synthesis of various problems in different contexts and ability to write clear and concise documents;
- Experience in an international organization or NGO is an added advantage;
- Fluent English is mandatory, French knowledge or multilingual is a strong asset;
Must have a certificate in project management;
Certificate of good conduct.
How to apply
The interested candidates should fill up a form by clicking the link below on or before the 19th October 2020 at 4:30 pm then submit their CV, motivation letter, including references details, supporting documents (Certificates, Diplomas, Degree, etc.) and current and expected remuneration to ICRC Nairobi Delegation, HR Department via the email address provided below:
- E-mail: [email protected]
The reference ENVIRONMENT & CLIMATE CHANGE TEAM LEADER must be stated in the application to be valid. If you do not fill out the required information as per the link provided or clearly state the position for which you are applying and attach the required certificates & other supporting documents, your application may not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in Kenya.
ICRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. All applications are free for all candidates and no one should require any payment or compensation during the recruitment process. May the candidate be asked for any fee, he/she must report to ICRC HR Department through the recruitment contact.
ICRC is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
In processing your personal data for recruitment purposes, we follow the information notice as explained HERE**