FIDA PR & Communications Officer NGO Kenya
Federation of Women Lawyers in Kenya (FIDA-Kenya) is a non-governmental, non-partisan, non-profit making organization established in 1985 with a mission to promote women’s individual and collective power to claim their rights in all spheres of life. FIDA-Kenya is a membership organization with over 1,100 women lawyers and law students committed to the creation of a society that is free from all forms of discrimination against women in Kenya. The organization works towards addressing challenges facing women’s access to their social, political, and economic rights.
FIDA-Kenya invites applications from qualified candidates for the Public Relations & Communications Officer position under Knowledge Management Team based in Nairobi.
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, the successful candidate will be the communication focal point for FIDA-Kenya and will be responsible for engaging all stakeholders on women’s rights advocacy issues, advancing the organization’s policies, and raising FIDA-Kenya’s profile, primarily through communication and public relations tools, media, and events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate, design, and implement communication and advocacy strategies that support FIDA-Kenya programs, including showcasing success stories and lessons learnt.
- Daily monitoring of media coverage on FIDA-Kenya and women’s rights issues and ensuring timely response to issues arising.
- Coordinate proper media coverage, including high-level placement of FIDA-Kenya’s work on print, broadcast, and online media.
- Act as FIDA-Kenya’s media liaison, including planning and coordinating meetings with journalists, editors, and media owners, managing media inquiries, press conferences, media events, and interview requests.
- Drafting speeches, press statement releases, and articles for media consumption in collaboration with management and generating FIDA-Kenya’s positions and opinion pieces on arising women’s rights issues.
- Update and maintain FIDA-Kenya’s digital platforms in a timely and effective manner.
- Manage the preparation, designing, production, and timely dissemination of FIDA-Kenya publications, including IEC materials, journals, reports, newsletters, and documentaries.
- Manage membership activities, including processing membership payments, planning members’ forums, and oversee communication with existing and prospective members.
- Management of the organization’s branding aspect, including maintaining consistency in branding and messaging across all FIDA-Kenya activities.
- Manage FIDA-Kenya’s resource centre and ensure effective dissemination of information internally to membership, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Prepare and track utilization of the departmental budget; oversee expenditure through approving requisitions and ensure timely submission of financial returns.
Person Specification: Qualifications and Attributes
The ideal candidates should have the following qualifications and attributes: –
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or Media studies. A master’s degree is an added advantage.
- A minimum of 5 years of public relations/communication experience, preferably in the NGO sector.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in photography and videography;
- Proficiency in digital media and graphic design tools is an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a flexible schedule and manage multiple tasks.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who fully meet the above criteria should send an application letter and detailed CV to The Executive Director, FIDA-Kenya, E-mail: [email protected] by Thursday, 11 March 2021. The application MUST include contacts of three referees, one of whom must be a former supervisor, expected salary, daytime contact, job title, and job reference number.
Only email applications will be considered, and only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
FIDA Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis (age, gender, sex, race, ethnic origin, social origin, disability, religion, and marital status) and does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.