FilmAid International Community Health Officer Job
FilmAid Kenya is a development and humanitarian communications organization that has been working in the Kenya Refugee Operation for over 20 years. FilmAid Kenya harnesses the power and influence of media and the arts to respond to emergencies, as well as promote social change through dialogue in order to protect the well-being of displaced and vulnerable populations by building stronger, healthier, and more informed communities.
FilmAid Kenya will be working to close information gaps and ensure increased access to information about health to improve education, inform communities’ awareness about available services, and change health seeking behaviors. The Health Education Officer will regularly engage with refugee communities and closely coordinated with health stakeholders during the production, translation, and dissemination of content, which will be broadcast on radio and other communication channels throughout the community.
Design, Development and Dissemination of Health Content
- Lead the planning, implementation, and monitoring for all Health information campaigns.
- Ensure the development of content is contextually relevant, and awareness raising and dialogues are designed and implemented to meet the stated health outcomes.
- Improve access to accurate health information to increase awareness and knowledge about diseases, major health challenges and improve health-seeking behavior.
- Coordinate and ensure a participatory approach during the production of content with the Multimedia Producer, the community messaging and advisory committees, the Field Manager, and other relevant staff.
- Draft and translate health-related messages for bulk SMS system distribution.
Health Coordination with Stakeholders and Communities
- Represent FilmAid in technical health coordination meetings with health partners in the camps.
- Work in close coordination with health implementing partners to ensure production and dissemination of information responds to the community’s needs.
- Work with the Community advisory committees to approve messages to the community as well as collect feedback on messages.
- Act as the liaison between FilmAid, the Health partners, and the refugee community in the Area of Operation on issues pertaining to health information dissemination activities.
- Form messaging committees in the Area of operation comprising relevant stakeholders – Ministry of Health (MoH), UNHCR, Health implementing partners, GoK and refugee community representatives.
· Ensure timely delivery of project activities according to approved work plans.
· Support project planning, implementation, and monitoring to ensure achievement of health outcomes.
· Support the M&E team in monitoring and collecting feedback about health related activities.
· Participate in needs assessments.
· Support project reporting, highlighting best practice and opportunities.
· Ensure Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) are at the center of implementation.
· Any other duties assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
1. Education: Professional degree in public health, community health, health education, public health nutrition, medicine or related degree
2. Prior Work Experience: **
i. Minimum of 3 years’ experience in health programming in the humanitarian sector.
ii. Experience in Health behavior change communication.
iii. Experience in building the capacity of community-based health teams.
iv. Proven academic or on-job training and understanding of the Project Cycle Model.
v. Experience in report writing.
vi. Facilitation and community engagement experience.
3. Key Skills and Competencies:
i. Fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili is essential.
ii. Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
iii. Creative and analytic thinker with the ability to manage multiple projects.
iv. Must be highly organized and able to work with other teams.
v. Competent with Windows and Microsoft Office applications.
4. Personal Attributes:
i. High level of motivation, integrity, commitment, and professional responsibility.
ii. Ability to tolerate cultural, educational, and religious diversity in the workplace.
iii. Excellent communication, time management, organization, and presentation skills.
iv. Able to work independently while being a good team player with a high degree of flexibility, tolerance and a good sense of humor.