Finance Associate – Nairobi
Contract terms: Full-time (though part-time candidates will be considered with availability of 30+ hrs a week)
Location/Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Closes: October 15, 2020
Projected start date: December 1, 2020
Reports to: Regional Hub Director – Nairobi
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more 230,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need. HOT works closely with humanitarian and development partners including the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, World Bank, and UN OCHA, among others. HOT is excited to expand regional support in East Africa with the opening of our Hub in Nairobi, as part of the Audacious Project.
HOT is looking for someone passionate about, and experienced in, international development and humanitarian action. You should be able to work within a fast-paced, international organization responding to urgent crises and persistent development issues. You should be excited about working with an international team and ready to travel to work with different teams in the field. You should be familiar with the operations and internal functions of international NGOs and knowledgeable about the sector. You will work on a broad range of tasks and projects and have exposure to all aspects of the functioning of the organization and support the opening of our Hub office in Nairobi.
In consultation with the Senior Global Finance & Administration Manager you will advise and/or assist the Regional Hub Director in formulating and implementing Finance and Administration programs, policies, procedures, and processes for HOT Teams within the East Africa region. As first point of contact for all general Finance and Administration related queries, you will address and/or redirect queries as appropriate on the below scope of responsibilities.
Payables and Banking
- Manage or coordinate payment of all payables in either cash or through the bank.
- Check and review the accuracy of all bills and Invoices before payment. Ensure that all relevant supporting documents have been attached to comply with HOT procedures as well as donors and other rules and regulations.
- Follow up and ensure Payable/Payments are done in timely manner.
- Ensure payments or funds are released based on relevant approvals as per HOT policies and procedures.
- Initiate Bank Payments as assigned.
- Follow up on bank transactions and contact the bank with any anomalies in the bank statements.
- Closely monitor the trends of the bank account and immediately report to the Senior Global Finance & Administration Manager on any unusual trends or unknown transactions.
- If assigned, ensure monthly bank reconciliations are prepared on a timely basis.
- Translate accounting documents as needed.
- Perform any other duties as maybe directed by the line manager with regard to payments, banking etc.
Data processing and Accounting
- Post all payment transactions to the system on a daily basis.
- Ensure all transactions are booked with strict compliance to HOT standard finance procedures.
- Verify correct account codes are used for all transactions.
- If assigned, perform the month end closing of accounting books (completeness, accuracy and timeliness required).
- Review and submit accurate and timely cash Forecast.
- Advise Senior Global Finance & Administration Manager on anticipating any treasury risks and resolving difficulties.
- If assigned, manage petty cash and ensure reconciliation and cash counts are conducted at month’s end or when replenishing from the bank.
- Monitor the petty cash and bank balances to ensure sufficient funds are always available depending on the program needs.
- Fill in the cash requests template for signing and approval.
- If assigned, ensure the cash reconciliations and cash counts for the office are sent to HQ as soon as they are ready and signed off from Management.
- Coordinate with the Senior Global Finance & Administration Manager on the monthly accounting review by correcting, executing, and monitoring the monthly closing.
- Assist the Senior Global Finance & Administration Manager in preparing various financial reports and analysis.
- Support Budget holders on budget preparation, control, and monitoring.
- Assist the Senior Global Finance & Administration Manager with monitoring budget implementation with Program managers.
- Maintain updated information on active budget lines.
- Before payment of bills or Invoice, confirm the availability of funds.
Risk Management and Internal Control
- Ensure timely dissemination and adherence of HOT Finance procedures among all budget holders.
- Ensure the implementation of internal control processes in accordance with internal financial procedures.
- Provide alert for any potential weakness in the implementation of activity or for any irregularities that may lead to potential loss to HOT if proper action is not taken.
- Support the Senior Global Finance & Administration Manager to respond to financial audit recommendations or queries.
- A Bachelor’s or greater degree in Business Administration, Accountancy, Commerce, or in a related field
- Passionate about humanitarian action and international development
- 1-3 years experience in non-profit, non-governmental organizations and international systems
- Familiarity with QuickBooks will be a plus
- Quick learning and adoption of new systems, softwares, and processes
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A good sense of humour and willingness to learn
Compensation & Benefits
- HOT values salary transparency and equity. All HOT salaries globally are set according to a framework detailed on our website.
- HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, a variety of health care options, retirement savings plans, and 24 days of annual leave for all full-time employees, in addition to 12 paid holidays.
How to apply
Please complete the form linked here. Continue to the second page to upload your CV/resume. Your CV/resume should not exceed 2 pages. If invited to an interview, expect to hear by mid-October thru early November via email. Please check junk/spam folder.