Finance Officer at African Development Solutions (Adeso)
Adeso is a humanitarian and development organization that is changing the way people think about and deliver aid in Africa.
The Finance Officer will provide financial support to Adeso’s programs both in Kenya and Somalia. Based in Nairobi, Kenya, the staff will be a full-time member of the Adeso Team, playing a crucial role in providing finance support for the team. The position holder will principally work with the finance Team on day-to-day basis under the direct supervision of the Finance Coordinator in Nairobi. The Finance Officer is responsible for all aspects of supporting the team in financial management, ensuring compliance with Adeso’s internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations.
The main purpose of the position is to provide technical support in the Accounting process through financial reporting and internal control management.
Specific Roles And Responsibilities
- Finance and Accounting
- Provide accounting support to the project and management team while ensuring compliance with internal controls, donor regulations and budget restrictions;
- Record accounting transactions including coding of payment vouchers before making payments and ensure an efficient, proper and transparent financial filing system of all documents (e.g. monthly payment of bills, contracts, rent and local salaries)related to finance are maintained;
- Prepare and examine accounting records, financial statements and other financial reports and ensure accuracy, completeness and conformance to reporting and procedural standards;
- Make sure that proper filing systems are put in place for audit trail. This includes the correct labeling and the arrangement of vouchers into the files showing pre-numbered reference numbers. Responsible that all the files are up to date for good internal controls.
- Assist the Finance Coordinator in collating cash requests and monitor the cash and bank balances to be minimum balances at all times.
- Reconciling Bank, Cash, Advance and Control Accounts in the system for every month for the HQ office before the month end closure
- Plan for cash flow requirements for the project and submit updated cash forecast and monthly cash requests to the project accountant on a timely basis;
- Process and make payments as provided in the approved budget;
- Ensure timely recovery of all advances including travel and mid-month advances and provide monthly update of any outstanding advances to the finance officer;
- Assist with facilitation of internal and external audit procedures as required.
- Review bank reconciliations and ensure they are prepared each month per finance procedures
- Register all expenditures and every transaction in the Microsoft Dynamics according to program and projects budgets, and ensure that reports produced from the accounting system reflect the true position of Adeso financial performance
- Monitor financial performance for all grants and produce reports according to donor reporting requirements
- Facilitate transfer of funds to Field offices and ensure close monitoring of utilization of funds
- Execute other tasks and responsibilities assigned by the Finance Coordinator.
Skills And Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration supplemented by professional courses in Finance/Accounting or any other related field.
- Two years of progressively responsible work experience at professional level in finance and office administration.
- Good writing and communication skills with supervisory ability.
- Ability to establish harmonious working relations in an international and multicultural environment.
- Good level of spoken and written English.
- Analytical skills and negotiating skills.
- Willingness to travel to remote field locations.
- Ability to work independently and work collaboratively as part of a team in a challenging and a highly fluid environment.
- Demonstrated attentions to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and cooperatively with team members are required.
- Basic knowledge in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets and power point.
- Ability to live and work in an isolated area in conditions of limited comfort.
- High degree of cultural sensitivity.
- Knowledge of English language and the local working language of the duty station is a requirement.
- Spoken and written Somali is an added advantage.
The post Finance Officer at African Development Solutions (Adeso) appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.