FULL – TIME PROJECT COORDINATOR (MATERNITY LEAVE COVER)
Action Network for the Disabled (ANDY) is currently seeking a full-time Project Coordinator (maternity leave cover, January 1 to March 31, 2020).
WHO WE ARE
Action Network for the Disabled (ANDY) is a National Disabled Persons Organization (DPO) working at all levels of community with the involvement of persons with disabilities to bring about positive change. We were founded by and for children and youth with disabilities in Kenya.
ANDY is dedicated to achieve equality, inclusion, and empowerment of children and youth with disabilities in Kenya through main streaming this group into all aspects of daily life. ANDY is a unique initiative that provides an inspiring environment for people with different types of disabilities and people without disabilities to work together.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
This project will improve access to quality inclusive Early Childhood Education (ECE) for Children with Disabilities (CwD) aged 4-6 years in Dagoretti and Kasarani Constituencies within Nairobi, Kenya through developing effective early identification systems, capacity building of duty-bearers and ministries responsible for Early childhood Development and the design of an innovative Inclusive Play Programme to sustainably and holistically address barriers to their inclusion.
The overarching change expected of this project is improved access to quality ECE for CwD in Kenya using inclusive play as an early entry point and strategy for identification and inclusion. By improving CwD learning outcomes in ECE and building a solid basis for their future educational and employment prospects, the project will help break the cycle of poverty faced by CwD through its multifaceted approach.
The role of the Project Coordinator is to work with the Finance Officer and the Project Support Officer in conceptualising, implementing and reporting on projects in all areas of ANDY’s work, with a specific focus on trainings, networking activities and the development of baseline surveys towards the project. The position entails the coordination of the Ready Steady project with the support of AbleChildAfrica our UK partner in the project.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
You shall discharge, perform and carry out the duties and responsibilities more particularly and specifically set out, but not limited to those described in the Terms and Conditions below, and they may be modified from time to time.
- Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Ready Steady Go project;
Serve as the ANDY’s point of contact with the project and project partners and be responsible for overall functioning and performance of the project;
Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in accordance with the project proposal ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget as well as ensure that all technical and coordination aspects and overall project implementation is in accordance with the Grant Agreement and Comic relief rules and procedures;
Prepare and participate in project inception workshops, project progress review and planning meetings with local stakeholders and partners to prepare the Work Plan and Budgets with partners;
Prepare monthly project progress reports in coordination with the project staff, reporting on the implementation of activities, and monitoring the achievement of project outcomes and output targets within the first quarter of the project;
Establish working relations with appropriate national and local institutions (Government and grass-roots organizations) to ensure effective implementation of project supported activities at national and local level including creating strategic partnerships and linkages with head teachers in government schools within Dagoretti and Kasarani constituencies;
Coordinate the design of the participatory project M&E system and exercise overall management responsibility of the regular monitoring and review of the execution of the activities;
Propose changes in project implementation strategies if the project is not performing as planned by monitoring and evaluating the project regularly;
Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent ANDY at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships;
Preparing quarterly financial forecasts in collaboration with the Finance Officer and quarterly work plan in collaboration with the project team as well as manage a comprehensive activity plan, including resource needs analysis;
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team;
- Create a quarterly ‘lessons learned’ documents, to share with partners, civil society and governmental institutions;
- Prepare regular and timely donor reports, including success stories, and best practices to be shared in the organisation’s website quarterly;
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the activities and interventions during project activities and at other relevant times.
- Contribute to identification and assessment of risks and implement mitigation measures in accordance with the Project’s Risk Management Strategy;
- With support from the Director and the Finance Manager, ensure respect of ANDY’s procurement procedures;
- In cooperation with the Director and the Finance officer, ensure efficient and effective management of the project’s budget and that all expenditure complies with ANDY’s Financial Policy;
- Work with other program teams and other colleagues across the organisation, including the Finance Manager to coordinate high quality funding proposals, ensuring that donor requirements and guidelines are understood and met;
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Executive Director.
QUALITIES AND EXPERIENCE SOUGHT
· 2-5 years of experience in project implementation and coordination, ideally working with youth and children with disabilities and a variety of education stakeholders.
· Interest and experience in the development of training, networking and capacity building projects specifically for Children with Disabilities projects. Any expertise in fundraising for non-profit organisations is an asset
· Experience in Monitoring, Adaptation, Evaluation and Learning of projects especially targeting Persons with Disabilities
· Fluent in English (written and oral skills)
· At ease with numbers and with online tools, such as online educational tools, websites, documents sharing platforms, etc.
· Able to function in a political environment and adapt to changing education policies and social conditions specifically among parents of Children with Disabilities
· Vast experience and judgment in working both collaboratively and independently
· Experience in working in Community Based Rehabilitation within various communities and promoting the same through social media.
· Proactive and sense of initiative
· Attention to detail and organisational skills
· Availability to travel occasionally and work outside regular office hours
·PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY (Kindly state in your cover letter)
CONDITIONS OF ASSIGNMENT
A full-time position from January 1st to March 30, 2020, as replacement in the context of a maternity leave, (with a possibility of extension to one year as the Project Officer/ MEL officer based on performance)
Starting date: January 1st, 2020
Office location: Nairobi (Dagoretti Constituency)