Gender Equality Advisor | ReliefWeb
Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) has been operational in Kenya for 35 years. It is the largest provider of family planning services and offers life-saving and life-enhancing services to men and women of all ages through a range or sexual and reproductive health service through its own clinic outlets, a network of franchise outlets and the marketing of RH commodities. In addition, MSK has an MCH 24 bed nursing home in Nairobi.
The Gender Equality Advisor will be a key member of the Programs team and will be responsible for the promotion and integration of gender awareness and gender equality within MSK and its programming. She/he will support MSK to promote and prioritise gender equality and female empowerment in its delivery of sexual and reproductive health (SRH) services throughout Kenya
The GBV Advisor will shape MSK’s awareness raising and service delivery strategy, activities and resources to ensure that accessible information is provided to young people, women, men, their families and the local community to facilitate and address gender based issues. He/ She will be responsible for developing the capacity of other development partners, civil society organizations (CSOs), influential actors, local leaders and Community based organisations (CBOs) community groups to more effectively advocate for GBV prevention and response including allocation of necessary funding for the implementation of existing GBV laws and policies. S/he will design and provide a comprehensive package of GBV activities that support the technical and institutional development of educational institutions, county /community partners on this project. This position is contingent on project funding.
Gender Equality Activities’ Design, Planning, Budgeting, Implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation:
· Work closely with HR and support office departments to shape the gender approach for all MSK staff to be transformative by ensuring they understand and mainstream gender issues in all the work plans and the importance of working to achieve gender equality within MSK
· Roll out Training and Training of Trainers in gender across the organisation and address specific project deliverables in the school health and community program.
· Work with marketing, projects and operations departments to develop gender sensitive and gender transformative resources/ curriculums and approaches to awareness raising and service delivery that responds to GBV issues raised in the facilities, intervention schools and community.
· Work with MSKS programs department to develop a Gender Equality Strategy for the organisation, with specific interventions to be implemented by different projects to strengthen girls’ and women’s equality through increasing safe access to SRH through MSK’s services.
· Engage in and provide recommendations to integrate gender responsive approaches in the design, development and implementation of project work plans including budgeting and reporting.
· Design and implement a gender based violence mapping exercise that includes quality assured and responsive network of providers, local organizations and relevant governments departments.
· Innovate, design and oversee cost-effective community engagement activities which will increase community awareness on gender issues relating to SRH including cervical cancer.
· Innovate, design and oversee cost-effective community activities which will address negative socio-cultural and gender norms and combat stigma related to reproductive health including, family planning, MSK brand and all other MSK services and create positive image within the community
· Develop close collaboration between field staff and CBMs and CHW to conduct community dialogues and educative sessions which address myths and misconceptions and gender barriers to accessing family planning methods and gather information on community perceptions on family planning and share with MSK teams
· Design and oversee county consultation activities prior to and during activity implementation including community dialogues, in- school health talks and girls’ events.
Gender Equality Advice and Support
· Act as the key advisor on gender and gender equality strategy within the organisation and with relevant stakeholders.
· Provide technical expertise to the Project Implementation Team (PIT) to ensure gender equality is considered in discussions and decision making
· Assess the needs of MSK departments and their deliverables, and tailor appropriate gender equality approaches and solutions in a manner which is collaborative and client-focused.
· Provide advice and support to all MSK teams to ensure that activities are designed in a gender sensitive or gender transformative way and that no MST activities reinforce negative or harmful gender norms.
Research, Monitoring and Evaluation:
· Coordinate project monitoring and evaluation ensuring inclusion of gender equality aspects in all project activities
· Work with evidence to action team to design and implement innovative engagement techniques and research methods which facilitate the capture of varying community views, perceptions or practices in relation to gender to strengthen programming.
· Work with evidence to action team to develop gender equality and SRH services indicators and tools to track accessibility of services, which will be used to assess the baseline and regularly measure outputs, outcome and impact of MSK program and activities in relation to gender.
· Coordinate the collection, capture, compilation data analysis and dissemination of results of gender data and put into use for MSK programming, community awareness, sensitization, lobbying and/or advocacy.
· Work with Research and Monitoring and Evaluation teams to capture, document and share lessons learnt, testimonials and case studies to improve gender equity throughout MSKT and its programme activities.
Engagement in MSK Gender Equality Advocacy activities:
· Contribute to the implementation of GBV strategies at the county levels, including working with CSOs, women’s groups, educational institutions and other community groups to develop processes and advocate for GBV services and implementation of GBV laws and policies.
· Coordinate with appropriate stakeholders in all aspects of activities planning, monitoring, and implementation
· Work with external relations and marketing team to develop gender sensitive/transformative materials for promotion, awareness and sensitization around SRH
· Design, plan and implement gender advocacy strategy, activities and behavior change and communication campaigns for both stakeholders and the community.
· With MSK’s external relations lead, represent MSK in various SRH and gender networks and movements, and actively participate in advocacy activities including lobbying for local bylaw and National policy making/change in relation to gender and gender equality.
MSK’s representative within the counties and among stakeholders:
· Maintain strong team relationships among key stakeholders, leaders and community groups IN GBV, on a formal and informal basis, across all county functions
· Represent MSK in various GBV meetings, events, initiatives and dialogues and ensure MSK visibility is maintained.
· Provide administrative, logistics and other necessary support and advice during execution of project activities or events.
· Support the Local Government Authority in developing, implementing and advocating for gender equality strategies and policies
Knowledge skills and attitude
· Masters in Social Sciences (e.g. Gender and Development, Project Management, Developmental Studies or equivalent)
· At least 5 years’ hands-on experience in advocacy for gender issues and evidence-based results in gender analysis and mainstreaming especially in health services provision and educational institutions such as schools
· Significant experience of working with gender issues is required with some experience in relevant socio-economic and gender analysis frameworks.
· Strong ability to design, implement and evaluate gender mainstreaming options for promoting accessibility of SRH services for women and adolescents
· At least 5 years’ experience in gender and human rights project design/management and/or advocacy, preferably in the health organization or reproductive health &family planning addressing gender norms;
· At least 5 years’ experience in health promotion, advocacy and working with other NGOs, CSOs, CBOs and the government;
· At least 5 years experience in SRHR in secondary schools and the Kenyan context.
· At least 5 years’ experience in working with youth and women and their groups;
· At least 5 years’ experience in preparing and delivering presentations in relevant stakeholders
· Minimum 5-year experience participating and/or engaging in research, monitoring and evaluation activities with strong experience of designing/overseeing M&E design for gender / monitoring gender indicators
· Strong experience of designing, adapting and facilitating training for adults, and developing Training of Trainers to roll out training across an organisation
· Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
· Excellent training design and facilitation skills; ability to adapt training for different audiences
· Ability to motivate teams
· Excellent oral, written and multi-media communication skills in English and Swahili
· Proven ability to ‘sell’ ideas, concepts and to motivate and influence organisational culture and way of working
· IT literate – strong competency in Microsoft office applications…
· Excellent lobbying and advocacy skills;