Global Instructional Designer & Facilitator at Wikimedia Foundation
- Company: Wikimedia Foundation
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Kenya
The Wikimedia movement is committed to advancing our world by collecting knowledge that fully represents human diversity and by building the services and structures that enable others to do the same. The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking an Instructional Designer and Facilitator to advance this commitment by supporting the development goals of the international community of volunteers who collectively work on creating and crafting these knowledge resources, whether by direct participation or by undertaking the important work of organizing the movement to be effective.
The Instructional Designer and Facilitator will lead the development and implementation of community-focused, capacity-building learnings, trainings and resources for this global movement. We are seeking someone who understands the capacity development needs of groups and individual volunteers who engage in the free knowledge movement and are at different stages of movement growth.
**This will be a remote position with international travel 7-10 times per year**
Reporting to the Manager of Community Development, the successful applicant will bring a growth-mindset to the position and provide strategic design and evaluation of various learning and training modalities both online and in-person that will support the capacity and leadership development needs of our communities in different contexts, in every major geographical center around the world.
Through your experience designing and delivering adult-learning curriculums, courses and trainings in diverse, global settings, you must be able to employ a variety of design principles to ensure accessibility and relevance of content for a diverse range of learners from all over the world. We are seeking an individual who embraces the core principles of the Wikimedia movement, such as openness and collaboration and who will be an effective project manager, an advocate for open knowledge, and excited to support and grow all types of leaders at diverse stages of life and in diverse cultural contexts.
A significant track record in instructional design that includes creating impactful learning experiences for different geographies, cultures, languages and/or countries is crucial for success in this role. This role may be based anywhere and will require regular travel around the world.
You are responsible for:
- Collaboratively developing learning courses, curriculums and experiences (in-person and online) designed to engage diverse, international cohorts of volunteers
- Connecting with a wide variety of movement thought leaders to better understand the learning and development needs of new, emerging and experienced leaders and groups in the free knowledge movement
- Co-leading the research and piloting of an online learning platform that will focus on providing accessible learning and leadership development for volunteers globally
- Employing a variety of insights from community volunteers, Foundation-led research and instructional design skills to build structured sets of lessons and growth-focused activities:
- Elements you will design: e-learning modules, curriculums, curriculum and course outlines and facilitation guides
- Leading in-person trainings at various Foundation-led global events and community-led, regional convenings to contribute to the overall growth of a capable body of globally diverse movement volunteers
- Collaborating with our Learning & Evaluation team, supporting evaluation efforts of learning and training programmings and products to maximize the impact, reach, and scale of Community Development’s global portfolio.
- Contributing to development and implementation of team, department, and Foundation strategic goals, outcomes and strategies.
We’d like you to have these skills:
- B.A and/or 5+ years relevant professional experience developing instructional/curriculum design focusing on adult learning and pedagogical understanding in global settings
- Demonstrated instructional design experience with a focus on online and in-person curriculum and learning tool design, ability to evolve content into impactful and accessible learning resources and experiences
- Experience and skill with public speaking and facilitation, ease communicating and engaging with a variety of audiences
- Experience designing and ease working internationally within multilingual and multicultural contexts with wide networks of stakeholders and learners
- Understanding of best practices for cultural/contextual inclusivity to ensure learning resources and experiences reflects multiple perspectives
- Able to develop resources for various learning styles, accessibility needs
- Ability to collaborate and engage in shared decision-making process with various stakeholders and internal/external teams
- Experience identifying blockers and other issues throughout the process and able to participate in design and application of remediation strategies, including inclusive retrospectives and clear documentation as necessary
- A strong level of written and spoken English, as well as the ability to communicate clearly with non-native English speakers. Non-native English speakers are encouraged apply. Additional languages are a major plus, as is experience living or working in multiple cultures.
Qualities that are important to us:
- A passion for and belief in free and open knowledge
- Respect for and acceptance of multiple cultures and customs, and a curiosity about the world
- Commitment to and belief in the value of inclusion, equity, and diversity.
- Energy and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
How to Apply