Grants and Complaince Officer
Reports To: Grants & Compliance Manager
Job Location: Kisumu
Position Type: Fixed Term
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners, people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS has worked in Kenya since 1965. Over the years, CRS’ focus shifted from direct relief and food distributions to a comprehensive development program that works with partners and enhances local capacity. CRS Kenya programs now support children aff ected by HIV, and community-based efforts to increase household incomes, improve family health and sanitation, and enhance agriculture livelihoods.
CRS is implementing a 5 year orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) program, Mwendo, which seeks to empower local and county-level OVC stakeholders to strengthen the formal and informal HIV and child protection systems and services and the linkages between them, including cross-sectoral service referrals and coordination to ensure quality service delivery for OVC and their HHs.
The Grants and Compliance Officer works as an integral part of the Mwendo Project team and collaborates with other functions to support effective contract management. Supports consortium partners and local implementing partners (LIP) on sub-grant management and compliance. This includes developing and embedding best practic e to comply with donor financial rules, expenditure tracking, monitoring and providing management information on key risks, contributing to the implementation of improved financial systems and processes to facilitate better donor reporting and compliance, and capacity building of partner/LIP staff with grants and compliance related roles.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
* Bachelor’s degree and/or professional qualification in Accounting, Finance, Business Studies, Auditing, Economics or related field
* CPA (K), ACCA, CISA
* At least 3 years’ experience in NGO sector in finance
* Experience of managing grants/contracts from institutional donors
* Ability to provide clear guidance on donor policies and procedures to other staff
* Good understanding and experience of working with proposals and contracts from institutional donors
* Experience of setting up and managing donor compliance monitoring systems, developing and implementing relevant tools
* Strong financial skills encompassing proposal budgeting, income tracking, budget monitoring and financial reporting
* Comprehensive understanding of financial reporting, review and analysis
* Understanding and participating in donor financial compliance audits
* Strong interpersonal, writing, presentation, and organizational skills
* Ability to develop productive working relationships with counterparts in other agencies and organizations
Skills and Abilities
* Ability to transfer skills and knowledge through, training, mentorship and accompaniment
* Demonstrated ability to work with and in teams
* Excellent written, oral communication
* Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office)
* Demonstrated ability foster integration in programming approach
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.