Grants Officer | ReliefWeb
Position Title: Grants officer
Position Type: Part-time, 3 days a week
Application deadline: Friday, 6 December 2019, 17:00 EAT
Start date: Monday, 6 January 2020
Daily rate: 60-80 USD
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
**Use the application form (Annex I) to submit your application. Not using the application form will lead to automatic disqualification. Submit your CV along with the application form. ***
Objectives of the position:
The Grants Officer will be a critical member of AVF’s Business Operations Team, reporting directly to the Director of Business Operations (DBO). The Grants Officer works across all program areas, including collaborating with Programmes & Innovation Teams to ensure effective and efficient grantmaking processes.
The Grants Officer in consultation and coordination with the Director for Business Operations will carry out the following duties.
The Grants Officer will maintain working knowledge of the AVF’s programs and priority funding areas.
- Monitor grants for legal, financial, and program compliance including but not limited to ensuring that grant requirements are correctly documented in the grant files and database.
- Monitor and document the grantmaking workflow processes, forms, templates, reports and data to assure full compliance with internal controls and legal requirements.
- Generate reports and data analysis for program and finance team or board.
- Work with finance to generate reporting required for compliance and financial statement audits.
- Ensure accurate and adequate paper and electronic document retention.
- Manage implementation of any grants management system and other technology improvements, including development plans and timelines, staff communication, testing and troubleshooting, documentation, training, and release cycles.
- Managing data hierarchy, data quality, data retrieval and reporting, particularly with respect to compliance, and monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
- Ensure all staff are aware and knowledgeable of grants management processes. This includes designing dashboards and training staff of all departments formally and informally.
- Develop training materials on standard operating procedures. Maintain electronic manuals and update program section of policy and procedures manual. Document system procedure changes and trains users on any updates.
Grant Monitoring and Evaluation Responsibilities
- Improve the way staff capture, access, and use grantmaking information to enhance programmatic and operational decision-making, produce accurate reports of grantmaking results, enhance grantee/grant seeker relationships, and enable learning; enhance supporting systems and tools.
- Assist in editing docket materials and preparing relevant materials.
- Design and maintain filing systems for the AVF’s paper and electronic records.
- Participate in weekly Program Team meetings, including provision of work-related updates.
- Participate in weekly substantive check-ins with Director of Business Operations.
- Collaborate with Programs Team, Finance Team, Innovation & Learning Team, and Executive Director on special projects as needed.
- Perform other related projects or work as required.
- Experience or capacity to understand and work for an international non-profit organisation and multi-partner projects
- Background or proven experience of 1-3 years in project management, financial management and budget monitoring
- Familiar with grant management procedures and donor relations
- Ability to work collaboratively and to handle change is essential
- Computer literate (MS Office package, open software tools, database)
- High organisation skills and sense of initiative
- Interest in foreign affairs
- Fluent English