Action Against Hunger-Horn and Eastern Africa is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), and food security. Action Against Hunger Horn and Eastern Africa is an independent NGO, currently managing operations in Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Uganda. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs, and approximately 2000 staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of position
As part of Action Against Hunger Regional office, the Grants Officer, will support in the management of the Regional Grants and Contracts Unit’s Portfolio and in their ambitious effort to advance the organization’s agenda through resource mobilization, programmes execution, compliance and quality reporting.
The Grants Officer will provide grants management support for the regional office portfolio with adherence to internal and external standards and regulations. He/she will execute multiple grants transactions and ensure process integrity in all areas including proposal development, reporting and documentation.
The Grants Officer will closely collaborate with Regional Grants and Contracts Manager for technical guidance. He/she will interact with Action Against Hunger sector coordinators at regional level and grants staff at country level, and with external stakeholders as needed.
Quality formulation of donor proposals in accordance with relevant guidelines; timely and high-quality donors reporting of Action Against Hunger Programs, consistent delivery of timely and quality grants services using established processes and tools.
- Essential job roles:
- Proposal Development and donor reporting
- Consolidate programmatic proposals inputs, with support from sector coordinators
- Review all proposal packages to ensure donor requirements are met, all required content is included, and existing Action Against Hunger-USA processes and guidelines were taken into consideration in their development.
- Track and manage donor reporting deadlines and provide templates to sector coordinators ahead of each reporting cycle.
- Coordinate the editing and review of monthly, quarterly, interim and annual reports, reconciling quality, compliance and timeliness prior to submission for final validation.
- Create projects in established platforms with appropriate documentation and archives of most up to date reports, final proposals, concept notes, contracts amongst other project documents.
- Sensitization of grants management team on archiving system in use and supporting in the retrieval of essential documents.
- Coordinate with program teams in the documentation of program lessons learnt and in producing materials suitable for external communication on program activities.
- In coordination with the Regional Grants and Contracts Manager, support project monitoring and strengthening of compliance across the Unit’s portfolio.
- Any other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Supervisory responsibilities
Gender Equality commitments
- Fosters an environment that supports values of women and men’s equal access to information and both men and women and promoted based on their performance.
- Respects all beneficiaries e.g., women, men, children (boys & girls) regardless of gender, sex, disability, religion, etc.
- Values and respect for all cultures.
- Promotes and upholds the PSEA policy and procedures
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core values
Respect– we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity– we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity– we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence– we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends if required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high-security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as infectious diseases.
Required Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, project management, or related field.
- Minimum three years’ experience in proposal writing, report writing,
- coordination of processesSound knowledge of Project cycle management
- Excellent English writing skills
- Basic knowledge of humanitarian principles
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
- Detailed oriented and ability to manage multiple competing deadlines.
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated resume and both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. Closing date for applications is 8th March 2020.