Harvest Foreman at Komaza Kenya
Komaza works to unlock the potential of small-scale farmers to solve Africa’s wood supply crisis. Collectively, small farmers possess limitless land and labor resources to plant billions of trees. Komaza provides farmers with support across the forestry value chain, from seedlings to sawmills.
Harvest team links the farmers we plant with and the Processing & Sales teams, this makes Harvest Operations Department one of the most dynamic teams at Komaza. Trees planted in the early days of the company are now mature for harvest and the annual wood flows are set to rise dramatically in line with the historical planting rates. We face the challenging but rewarding task of ensuring that we are able to efficiently and cost-effectively extract trees on time from our distributed farms and get them to our processing team ahead of sales to customers. As such, the Harvest team is set to grow rapidly over the next few years – in terms of staffing, investing in mechanization, adding new teams in Kwale County, and providing support and input to our newest location in Central Kenya.
About This Role
As the Harvest Foreman, you are primarily responsible for executing and managing our harvesting plans with our field-based teams. Harvesting is the final piece of the field-based forestry value chain, and requires close coordination with internal and external stakeholders including multiple harvesting teams, transportation providers, the Finance department, and the Processing & Sales teams. As we scale our operations geographically, you will inform continuous design improvements to Harvest’s intricate operational, planning and organisational systems. Due to the travel restrictions currently in place due to Covid19, the role is only open to candidates located in Kilifi, Kwale or Malindi.
What You Will Do
- Execute harvesting plans by coordinating and managing the field teams to ensure efficient harvest operations.
- Ensure proper time management, planning and coordination of team transport to and from the field prior to harvest day and escalate any challenge to the supervisor on time.
- Liaise and coordinate with truck owners regarding hauling of logs to CCA site at the right time.
- Be the primary liaison between Harvest field teams and the Harvest Operations Coordinator to ensure open channels of communication for efficient and effective work planning.
- Implement and ensure safety regulations are fully adhered to by having all team members and visitors put on safety gears on site.
- Track equipment inventory to ensure all tools and resources are effectively being used and proper maintenance is kept.
- Liaise with the Harvest Admin and Government Relations department to ensure adherence of regulations and compliance processes e.g. CESS payments
- Maintain a good relationship with our farmers to ensure they follow all processes and procedures for during the harvesting stage.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
What You Have
- Diploma is an added advantage or having a KCSE Certificate minimum
- At least 2 years of field-based experience in harvesting, forestry or agroforestry
- Proficiency in basic computer skills and MS Suite (Word & Excel)
- Experience in training field-based teams is an added advantage
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili, Giriama is an added advantage
- Good organisational, critical thinking, and communications skills
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
- Self-started and driven for results
Great vision without great people is irrelevant, Jim Collins wisely stated. If you share Komaza’s vision and want to make it a reality, apply today! You’ll get a chance to work at our headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya. The role offers a competitive remuneration package and an opportunity to further your career.
The post Harvest Foreman at Komaza Kenya appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.