Head of Legal at Standard Chartered Bank Kenya
- Company: Standard Chartered Bank Kenya
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Kenya
Primary Location: Africa & Middle East-Kenya-Nairobi
Employee Status: Permanent
The Role Responsibilities
- Act as a central point of reference for the Group, Regional and Sub-Regional Heads of Legal, members of the Legal Leadership Team and others in respect to East Africa and Kenya legal matters
- To lead and support the East Africa Legal teams across three countries in the proactive and strategic identification of legal risks and effectively manage and advise on all legal issues in Kenya and across East Africa
- Provide awareness and understanding of the Group’s business strategy and model appropriate to East Africa Legal team
- Support and collaborate with Head, Legal Tanzania and Head of Legal, Uganda to develop effective strategies for identifying horizon risks for Legal and strengthening relationships with regional regulators.
- Follow the Group Management Responsibility Policy to ensure effective risk management and the implementation of proper controls.
- Provide proactive advice to the East Africa and Kenya Legal teams and other requisite committees, on all legal and regulatory issues that have a significant impact on the region, working with external counsel as appropriate (and seek to proactively identify such issues).
- Endeavour to ensure that any papers being tabled
- Lead the Bank’s relationship, point of liaison and input with law making and enforcement authorities in Kenya and provide strategic support to Head of Legal, Tanzania and Head of Legal, Uganda to conduct the same across East Africa
- Establish and maintain effective processes (including training, advice and support) to ensure that policies, procedures and standards addressing legal risk are effectively implemented.
- Act as or assist the Risk Owner for Legal Enforceability and Liability risks arising in Kenya or Country processes owned by Legal, as set out in the Group’s Risk Management Framework.
People and Talent
- Promote a culture and practice of compliance with legal standards (including conducting business within legal and regulatory requirements, with high ethical standards) across East Africa and Kenya legal teams
- Embed a “Here for Good” culture and comply with the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead and coach through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from others and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Accountable for the East Africa Legal team performance, resourcing, people and conduct agenda, sub-regional training and development, and P3 reward process.
- Within the Group’s overall Risk Management Framework, establish and maintain an appropriate risk-based approach to assessing, measuring, monitoring, managing and reporting Legal risk arising in Kenya.
- Act as,or assist the Process Owner for any Group or Country processes owned by Legal where such processes are executed in Kenya. Be responsible for: (i) the management of such processes in line with the Group’s process universe as set out in the Group Operational Risk Framework; and (ii) associated risks, including activities within the processes which are carried out by the businesses or other functions or which are hubbed or outsourced.
- Act as or assist the Risk Owner for Legal Enforceability and Liability risks arising in Kenya, as set out in the Group’s Risk Management Framework.
- Maintain an awareness and understanding of the top risks facing the Group and the role played in managing them.
- Awareness and understanding of the legal and regulatory framework, in which the Group operates and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
- Ensure that Legal is represented at various committees as may be appropriate across East Africa and Kenya .
- Endeavour to ensure that any papers being tabled by Legal at regional governance committees have been reviewed by the regional Legal team and clearly articulate the issues and legal risks involved and any mitigates approached (as appropriate).
- Work and lead correspondence with local regulators (when required to do so) in an open and cooperative manner.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Kenya Legal team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Prescribed responsibilities by the Central Bank of Kenya
- All units of SCB Kenya
- Ministry of Justice (including Public Prosecution)
- Other applicable Ministries
- External counsel
- Embed Here for Good and Group’s brand and values in Legal Kenya
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures
Our Ideal Candidate
- Educational background in Law to degree level/post-graduate & professional studies as necessary to fulfil this role.
- Post Graduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with minimum 10 years post qualification experience and a current practicing certificate.
- A strategic approach to practices, procedures and specific transactions
- Effective communicator and team leader
- Understanding of risk management techniques
- Expert and sound judgment of business practices, regulatory relationship management and reputational risk.
- Exemplary integrity, ethics, independence and resilience.
How to Apply