Legal Officer Job, Legal Kenyan Job Vacancies
Legal Officer – IMA/LEGAL/21/004
This position is responsible for the provision of legal services in relation to litigation, contract preparation, perfection of securities and general legal advisory services to the Society.
The incumbent shall be tasked with the following responsibilities:
- Timely and accurate preparation of agreements, Legal documents, Loan forms, Application forms and other documents in relation to the Society’s business.
- Ensuring the efficient and proper perfection of all the Society’s securities as well as maintenance of its collateral.
- Review of legal reports pertaining to properties to be taken as collateral and advising on issues related to stamp duty; registration of documents, etc as part of due diligence on the property related documentation.
- Providing support for Society secretarial functions, including preparation of Board papers, Board action logs, correspondence and matters for attention in a professional and timely manner;
- Accountability for the safe keeping of physical and electronic records including confidential and sensitive Society documents;
- Resolution of complaints/claims from third parties regarding any legal dispute on collateral, loan agreements and any other legal documents.
- Drafting, drawing up and reviewing contracts, Service Level Agreements, Memorandum of Understanding, leases and other legal documents to ensure compliance to statutory requirements and the Society’s policies;
- Following up on renewals or termination of agreements;
- Coordinating and ensuring representation of the Society in courts or other judicial authorities – including liaising with external lawyers on the execution of assigned tasks.
- Conducting legal research and providing advice on legal and corporate matters to the Society through interpretation and writing legal opinions;
- Ensuring that Legal Audit Compliance is carried out to confirm legal compliance, statutory and regulatory requirements;
- Developing and reviewing a relevant legal and regulatory framework for the better implementation of the Society’s mandate;
- Reviewing and providing advice on legal risk at the Society;
- Litigation management and reviewing progress of outstanding litigation; and
- Provision and interpretation of legal information, conducting of training and dissemination of relevant legal requirements to staff.
- A Bachelor of Law degree with a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies from the Kenya School of Law;
- Membership to the Law Society of Kenya (LSK)
- Valid and current practicing certificate
- Admission to the Roll of Advocates of the High Court of Kenya.
- A minimum of (three) 3 years demonstrated professional experience in legal practice, particularly in a Sacco or banking sector.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential and good knowledge of the other language.
- Must be aged between 21-45 years
How to Apply