Innovation Lab Coordinator (Lamu) at Kenya Red Cross Society
Kenya Red Cross is one of the many International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement societies around the world. The Kenya organisation was established in 1965, The Kenya Red Cross supports and runs a number of projects whilst raising awareness to the Kenyan public about the current issues or problems which may affect them.
The Society is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position:
Reporting to: Innovations Manager
Job Location: Hindi, Lamu
The Lamu Innovation and Fabrication Lab is a modern innovation workspace and makerspace that is equipped with an array of digital fabrication machines that utilise various materials. The Lab aims to empower communities and innovators to enhance local skills and talent to create, build and improve solutions to strengthen resilience and economic empowerment.
Lamu, based off the coast of Kenya, is rich in culture and tradition. Its narrow streets remain unchanged and markets and squares around the fort life moves at the same pace it always has. There are no vehicles and the donkey and the dhow remain the dominant form of transport. The people of Lamu are great believers in tradition and custom and this is a strong society built on a respect for the past. Local artisans have mastered skills in building dhows, carving the infamous Lamu door and traditional embroidery and weaving.
As the innovation lab coordinator, you will have the exciting opportunity to engage and work with the community to complement these traditional skills with modern digital fabrication tools and processes that will not only rejuvenate the already nurtured creativity of local skills, improve their efficiency and processes, as well as attract the youth into these sectors. You will also have the amazing opportunity to support other innovation projects and initiatives at the national level and further enhance the work that KRCS does with communities across Kenya.
The primary focus for this role will be coordination of the Lamu Fab-Lab operations particularly on program development, coaching and training, collaboration and continuous improvement of the facility setup by the KRCS Innovation Unit, administered under the International Centre for Humanitarian Affairs (ICHA), an establishment of the KRCS.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and deploy systems for the smooth running of the lab in tandem with organizational mission and key objectives
- Design, develop, and execute workshops, events, and new program elements aligned with community interests and needs;
- Plan, Execute, Monitor, Report and Evaluate programs and initiative outcomes for future planning.
- Ensure operations in the fabrication lab are in line with set standard operating procedures and best practices
- Foster an interdisciplinary learning environment and a culture of critical decision making and innovation.
- Document learning, teaching activities and projects for internal reports and public relations
- Develop and execute a marketing strategy for the Lab
- Develop and ensure effective implementation of routine preventive maintenance schedule
- Contact vendors regarding maintenance contracts and complex repair / troubleshooting to resolve lab issues in a timely manner.
- Stay familiar and up-to-date with the most common software used in the fablab and facilitate equipment / software changes. Procure, install and renew software licenses.
- Create, maintain and ensure adherence to safety policies.
- Create the staffing schedule for the lab which includes machine operators and trainers.
- Responsible for planning and budgets, strategy development and implementation of the lab’s projects and activities
- Provide support and technical guidance and look for opportunities to scale initiatives
- Developing and implementing the lab’s work-plan across various projects
- Coordinate and collaborate with other units within the Society to meet the objectives of the innovation unit and the Lab.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, preferably Mechanical, Computer Science, Electrical and Electronics or related field(s).
- 3-5 years experience in working in an innovation lab environment
- Postgraduate degree and relevant courses will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of advanced fabrication Lab-related technologies
- Demonstrate experience in setting up systems in a project manager or similar role
- Demonstrate experience in leadership in technical projects. Preferably hardware projects.
- Demonstrate experience in planning and budgeting
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies and to effectively assist others on the same
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and with minimal supervision
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a deadline-driven environment
- Attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work with diverse groups/populations
- Auto CAD skills will be an advantage
- 3D printing skills will be an advantage
- Knowledge around community engagement
The post Innovation Lab Coordinator (Lamu) at Kenya Red Cross Society appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.