Junior Evaluation consultant | ReliefWeb
Junior Evaluation consultant – final evaluation of the project “Strengthening Capacity of Kenyan Judiciary for Efficient Electoral Dispute Resolution in 2017 general elections”
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers
people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable
development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies
where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law.
To learn more about IDLO, please visit our website www.idlo.int or follow us on Twitter @IDLO.
- The Contractor will report to Director, Policy, Research and Learning under a day-to-day
supervision of the Head of Evaluation and will be expected to carry out the following key
duties in line with the detailed evaluation Terms of Reference (link):
- Assist in conducting an in-depth desk review of relevant Kenyan national strategies, and project documents and reports;
- As per team leader’s instructions, support the data collection and validation. Where required, the Contractor will participate in and/or conduct FGDs and interviews, and will collaborate to ensure data are collected in line with the agreed methodology; and
- At the request of the team leader, provide support and inputs for the preparation of the evaluation deliverables.
- The Contractor will support in preparing the following deliverables::
- The Inception Note: Include the overall background of the project, the reconstructed Theory of Change (ToC), the preliminary list of Evaluation Questions, potential outcomes of the project and its contribution towards those outcomes, the data collection approach, and the list of key informants;
- Validation exercise/workshop: Conduct one or more participatory exercises with
project stakeholders to validate the ToC, Outcome descriptions, and develop the
- Draft Evaluation Report: Including: (a) a concise, coherent Draft Evaluation Report of no more than 20 pages excluding annexes; and (b) one-page Evaluation Findings Executive Summary;
- Final Evaluation Report: Finalized evaluation report of no more than 20 pages
(excluding annexes); and
- Presentation: A short presentation to donor and IDLO on outcome findings, insights into contribution pathways, etc.
- Advanced university degree in Evaluation, Social Sciences, Political Science, International Development, Law or related field
- At least two years’ experience in co-conducting development assistance evaluations of
programs or initiatives with focus on good governance / rule of law.
- Professional experience with Project Cycle Management and Logical Framework approaches.
- An understanding of the Kenyan legal context would be an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Basic knowledge of evaluation methodology for development assistance projects and
programs with specific experience in evaluation methods and tools.
- Experience with developing qualitative and quantitative (proxy) indicators.
- Experience with survey techniques, focus groups and other participatory methods.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative data collection methods.
- Sound analytical, writing and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team;
- Capacity to work in a multicultural environment;
- Cultural and political sensitivity.
TERMS and CONDITIONS
Tentative timeframe: The consultancy is expected to start in December 2018 and include approximately 10 days’ for data collection in Nairobi (Kenya). The inception note is expected by end of January 2019, and the draft evaluation report is expected by mid-March 2019. This is a result-based assignment where payments will be made in relation to the submitted deliverables. The estimated amount of workdays to conduct this assignment is 20.
How to apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply via our website www.idlo.int/jobs and submit an updated Resume or IDLO personal history form (PHF) and a cover letter.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the person assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: 12th December 2018 (23.59 Hrs Rome time)