Kenya Job: UN Habitat, Archives Assistant
Kenya Job: UN Habitat, Archives Assistant
Employment as UN Habitat Archives Assistant
UN-Habitat Archives and Records Management programme ensures proper records keeping system and archiving of documents to support institutional memory and encourage organization learning, with the major objective of ensuring timely provision of information to support decision making.
Archives Assistant NGO Job Responsibilities
- Under the Supervision of Head Knowledge Management Support, Division of Management and Operations, the incumbent is responsible for supporting the Agency Archives and Records management programme under the following terms of reference;
- Supports the management of UN-Habitat Archives; ensuring that records are properly stored, safe-guarded and available for reference by authorized staff members;
- Arrange and assist with transfers of records from offices to the Record center, and provide retrieval services for Staff.
- Process new acquisition of records in accordance with the approved procedures and guidelines, ensuring that transferred records meet the required standards and are stored securely,
- Support the implementation of UN-Habitat Records Disposition Projects for physical and electronic records by coordinating with relevant UN-Habitat staff concerning secondary storage; ensuring proper preparation of background information.
- Implement records disposal procedures by liaising with relevant section coordinators to ensure that the disposed records are guided by the organization retention schedule, in support of disposition decisions
- Create and maintain manual accession register for transferred records to support of reference, archival arrangement and descriptions.
- Participate in the appraisal and processing of legacy record according to identified records groups and series, and provide relevant assistance to users regarding access to documents stored in the records Center and the Archives.
- Participate in the archival arrangement and description of records according to the agreed standards and administrative histories and provide records content analysis for purposes of series description.
- Coordinate the delivery of correspondences from UN-Habitat to UNON, Mail and Pouch Unit, and other UN offices as required, ensuring efficient and timely delivery of official mail to respective offices both internally and externally.
- Update systematically the UN-HABITAT Intranet Staff Directory, ensuring quality control and currency of the information.
- Scan and upload documents on Performance, Accrual and Accounting System (PAAS) Knowledge Resource Page as required
- Undertake any other duty as assigned by the Head of Division or Unit
Qualifications for the Archives Assistant NGO Job
- Completion of secondary level education. A Diploma or post-Secondary training in Archives and Records Management or a related Information Management field desired.
- Knowledge of IT, Registry, Mail and Pouch and added advantage.
- Five years progressive experience in the field of Archives Administration and Records management, including managing records life-cycle in both paper and electronic format.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of other
- UN official languages is an asset.
How to Apply
Applications should include:Cover memo or motivation letter (maximum 1 page)
Cover memo or motivation letter (maximum 1 page)
Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
Educational Background (incl. dates)
Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
Expectations regarding remuneration
UN Personal History Form (please use the United Nations standard personal history form available upon request or via: http://www.unhabitat.org/content.asp?typeid=24&catid=435&id=3867)
Proof of relevant work (at least two)
Please be advised that since April 15th 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
UN-HABITAT e-Roster in order for their application to be considered. You can reach the e-Roster through the following link: http://e-roster.unhabitat.org
All applications should be submitted to:
Subject: Application for Archives Assistant G4 and [Name of Applicant……] Email: [email protected]
Deadline for applications: 27 February 2017
UN-Habitat does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: [email protected]