GIS Officer Job, NGO Kenyan Job Vacancies June,
The Society is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the following position:
Position Title: GIS Officer
Reporting to: Head of Research & Learning
Job Location: Nairobi
The role will be responsible for collecting geo-data from numerous sources and for creating and sharing maps and other geo-information products from the data collected for managing data collection toolkits such as OpenDataKit, OpenMapKit and Akvo Flow. This role holder will also maintain and prepare the hardware needed for data collection, train enumerators for data collection, and lead them in data collection missions. This position works closely together with the PME department and reports to the humanitarian data team lead.
- Understand information needs by Kenya Red Cross decision makers and translate these into data collection, analysis and GIS products.
- Identify, review and utilize open geo-data sources and combine these with data collected by Kenya Red Cross.
- Organize Missing Maps events in Kenya, organize, and lead field-mapping activities (see missingmaps.org).
- Migrate geo-data into OpenStreetMap and other data to a Kenya Red Cross data repository (such as HDX).
- Support Kenya Red Cross in using the products, maps, and visualizations provided by the team.
- Support and guide students and volunteers that work on GIS in the team.
- A University degree in geographical information systems (GIS).
- Track record showing the capacity to use data to improve processes, operations and decision-making.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in data analysis.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in GIS.
- Demonstrable interest in humanitarian aid.
- Skilled in GIS software such as QGIS, databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Skilled in data collection toolkits such as OpenDataKit and able to train others in the use.
- Experienced with editing in OpenStreetMap, through JOSM and ID-editor.
- Excellent command of English language (written and verbally).
- Committed to customer excellence.
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure.
- Strong listening and feedback skills.
- Being able to communicate clearly and concisely (written and verbally).
- Being trustworthy
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply strictly through https://www.redcross.or.ke/Careers so as to reach us not later than 22nd June 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.