Key expert 1: Permanent Long Term Expert (Team Leader) – Kenya PLEAD
The Bureau for Institutional Reform and Democracy – BiRD GmbH is currently accepting applications for a Key expert 1: Permanent Long Term Expert (Team Leader) for “Support to the National Legal Aid Service of the Department of Justice Under the Programme for Legal Empowerment and Aid Delivery (PLEAD)”, Kenya
The single permanent expert (Permanent TA) will support the implementation of Outcome 1 of PLEAD through the new National Legal Aid Service (NLAS), facilitate collaboration between the different PLEAD implementing partners, and support the Project Steering Committee (PSC) in the coordination of the overall PLEAD programme. He or she should be dispatched promptly upon contract signing and will be present during the total lifetime of the project.
Qualifications and skills
• University level education (master’s degree) in law or other relevant discipline
• Fluency in spoken and written English.
• Facilitation and communication skills are crucial
General professional experience
• Preferably 10 years’ experience in international development cooperation, but a minimum
of 7 years required.
Specific professional experience
• Preferably 5 years’ experience in supporting the Justice Public Administration in a senior
or advisory capacity in a development country, but a minimum of 3 years required.
• A minimum of 3 years working experience with Legal Aid policy and/or provision in a
• A minimum of 3 different working experiences in drafting or implementing Programme
Estimates, of which at least one experience supporting the day to day implementation of a
Programme Estimate (for example being a programme Imprest Administrator or supporting
the Imprest Administrator).
• Experience in the management of technical assistance experts including familiarity with
and drafting of terms of reference.
• Knowledge of the Kenyan “access to justice” context would be an added advantage.
The intended start date is February 1st 2020 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 54 months from this date.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya, with field visits to the Focal Counties.
How to apply:
All experts must be independent and free from conflicts of interest in the responsibilities they take on.
Applications and updated CVs are accepted on a rolling basis and should be submitted until August 23rd, 2019 to: [email protected]
Please note that only excellent experts meeting most or all of the above mentioned criteria and having excellent and verifiable record will be considered.