Laboratory Lead at mothers2mothers (m2m)
mothers2mothers (m2m) is an international non-governmental organisation headquartered in Cape Town, SA, dedicated to providing education and support to pregnant women and mothers living with HIV, and preventing mother-to-child transmission. m2m empowers HIV-positive pregnant women and new mothers to become role models in their communities by promoting AIDS awareness, testing and services. m2m has been implementing its Mentor Mother Model in Kenya since 2008, and has successfully adapted peer education and psychosocial support to the Kenyan context to improve client PMTCT and maternal, new born, and child health (MNCH) outcomes and currently operates 30 health facilities across the country.
The project Laboratory Lead will be responsible for technical expertise, coordination and supervision of all laboratory activities within Nairobi County and NTRH in compliance with national and donor guidelines and policies, provide technical support and supervision to ensure that the laboratory services meet established safety standards, are well coordinated and efficient and meet established quality standards.
Key Performance Areas:
- Prior experience with capacity building and clinical training of health personnel for improved service delivery in resource-challenged settings.
- Responsible for technical leadership and oversight for the project team on efficient laboratory systems and networks for HIV and TB diagnostics, ensuring coordinated and efficient specimen sample collection and transfers, results transmission and reasonable turnaround times
- Responsible for technical assistance and capacity building support to project program officers and facility laboratory personnel for expansion of quality laboratory services including improved access to laboratory diagnosis and monitoring through HIV testing, virologic monitoring, CD4 testing, early infant diagnosis (EID) and new innovative TB diagnostics to support provision of quality integrated HIV services at health facilities in liaison with County and Sub County Medical Lab Coordinators and NTRH lab department.
- Provide oversight, technical assistance and capacity building to establish, strengthen and expand the laboratory network between project supported care and treatment facilities in Nairobi County.
- Support capacity building and technical assistance to project program officers and facility laboratory personnel on reagent/commodity forecasting, quantification, procurement and consumption reporting in liaison with County and Sub County Medical Lab Coordinators, NTRH lab department and the national supply chain mechanisms.
- Support capacity building and technical assistance to project program officers and facility laboratory personnel on laboratory related QA/QC, lab equipment maintenance and related service contracts in liaison with national laboratory reference labs and equipment vendors.
- Work in close collaboration with the project management team and Nairobi CHMT and NTRH to strengthen laboratory systems and services to offer improved access to laboratory diagnosis and monitoring in support of provision of quality integrated health services.
- Work in close collaboration with the M&E Lead to strengthen Laboratory Health Management Information Systems for commodity reporting at facility, sub-county and county levels and NTRH.
- Represent the project team at technical/stakeholder forums with the county and national government, the donor agencies and other implementing partners on laboratory related matters.
- Advise and ensure compliance with implement infection prevention and control, biosafety and biosecurity across project supported health facilities providing HIV and TB testing services
Qualification and Experience:
- Higher National Diploma (HND) or Degree in medical laboratory sciences or related qualification. Post graduate qualifications in medical laboratory sciences, public health or related disciplines will be an added advantage.
- Minimum five years progressively responsible experience in implementing PEPFAR laboratory strengthening service delivery programs.
- Proven track record of providing mentorship and supervision for strengthening laboratory services and training in quality improvement approaches.
- Good knowledge on lab commodity management, reporting and LMIS, biosafety and biosecurity and quality control protocols
- Experience working with MOH structures and personnel and good knowledge of laboratory related health systems strengthening.
- Strong programming, management, technical and critical thinking skills to facilitate program implementation.
- Excellent analytical, communication, presentation and report writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy, as part of a team effort
- Computer literacy, particularly in the use of MS office.
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building and coordination.
- Ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines in a complex implementation environment.
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people. Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
The post Laboratory Lead at mothers2mothers (m2m) appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.