Legal Adviser, Africa at Center for Reproductive Rights
Our Mission The Center for Reproductive Rights uses the power of law to advance reproductive rights as fundamental human rights around the world. Our Vision We envision a world where every person participates with dignity as an equal member of society, regardless of gender.
The Role: Reporting to the Senior Legal Adviser, the Legal Adviser will work closely with other Africa program staff to support and build the work of the regional program in all areas of work.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and shall be for a fixed term of two years.
- Support program strategy on litigation; including helping identify potential strategic cases at the national and regional levels in collaboration with partner organizations.
- Research and write legal memoranda on comparative and international human rights law and claims for use in national, regional, and/or international fora.
- Support strategic litigation in Kenya by representing the Center in court as needed.
- Draft pleadings and submissions for human rights and criminal cases in Kenya.
- Support legal and policy research and analysis of national laws and policies and international and regional human rights standards.
- Support the design and implementation of advocacy and capacity building strategies by liaising with and providing technical support to partners.
- Contribute to the development of advocacy materials and publications to advance program work.
- Support the development and implementation of communication strategies focusing on programs in Kenya.
- Conduct human rights trainings and awareness sessions with partners as needed.
- Represent the Center externally on matters related to reproductive rights, including through public speaking and engaging with the media as required.
- Help identify, build, and maintain partnerships with NGOs and key stakeholders as needed.
- Monitor compliance with international obligations relating to reproductive rights and jurisprudential developments.
- Contribute to annual and strategic planning process as needed.
- Support other program management and operational activities as necessary.
- Minimum 4 years related professional experience.
- Degree in law.
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya holding a current practicing Certificate.
- Knowledge of the human rights systems and commitment to human rights, women’s rights, and reproductive rights.
- Capable of complex legal analysis.
- Experience in national litigation and advocacy.
- Possesses excellent writing, editing, research, oral advocacy and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to travel within and outside of Kenya.
- Strategic thinking: Applies big-picture thinking while also focusing on the details of implementation.
- Decisiveness: Consistently makes sound decisions in a timely manner supportive of the Center’s mission, core values, and strategic objectives. Blends vision and judgment.
- Collaboration: Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
- Receives and Provides Direct Feedback: Actively gives and requests feedback to and from peers, supervisors and direct reports (If applicable) about work products, behaviors, values, style and approaches with a view on how this impacts self, other individuals and teams.
- Transparency: Consistently applies openness and honesty in communicating decisions and plans to team members.
- Commitment to learn: Applies a growth mentality to their own and their team’s (if applicable) development. Promotes a culture of learning by modeling inquisitiveness and an openness to viewing mistakes as an opportunity to learn and improve.
- Passion for Coaching, and Mentoring Staff: Empowers and motivates employees and creates opportunities for learning, development, and leadership, with a focus on harnessing skills for the future development of team members. (if applicable)
- Accountability: Follows through on each commitment made to individual contributors, teams and partners and proactively informs others of any delays that occur along the way. Holds team members accountable.
- Integrity: Possesses impeccable integrity and personal and professional values that are consistent with the Center’s high standards and mission.
- Empathy: Serves as an empathetic, approachable leader who engenders trust and confidence. (if applicable)
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Demonstrates comfort with ambiguity and calculated risk
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
The post Legal Adviser, Africa at Center for Reproductive Rights appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.