Legal Intern at Refugee Consortium of Kenya (RCK)
RCK’s core mandate is to: provide legal aid services and psycho-social counseling; engage in advocacy for policy change and to develop legislation in line with international instruments regarding the management of refugees and other forced migrants; and to raise awareness regarding the plight and rights of the vulernable groups through research and information
To provide legal advice and procedural support to the organization on issues relating to and affecting the refugee community.
- Post holder reports to: Assistant Program Officer –Legal and Psychosocial Support
- Staff reporting to this post: None
- To offer legal services to asylum seekers, refugees, and members of the host community at RCK’s legal clinic, Kenya Prisons and Police Stations upon instructions by the Supervisor;
- Conduct case interviews and obtain biographical and demographical information on refugees and asylum seekers and members of the host community while making relevant consultations with the programme;
- Offer relevant legal and social advice to refugees and asylum seekers;
- Identify needs and provide requisite support to refugees, asylum seekers, and members of the host community who visit RCK Legal clinic in consultation with programme staff;
- Assist in the day to day running of the Legal Clinic by helping in registration of clients, filing and keying in client information in the data base and any other duties that might be delegated; and
- Participate in RCK’s ongoing projects in other programmes, such as the advocacy campaigns, capacity Building workshops, and research projects when called upon.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Law
- Experience in civil and criminal litigation.
- Experience working with an NGO/Humanitarian field is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili.
- Knowledge of the Kenyan legal system and of regional & international instruments
on refugees and human rights.
Normal working hours are eight hours from 8am to 5 pm from Monday to Friday. This is an internship program that runs for 6 months.
- Professionalism: In-depth theoretical knowledge of and significant experience in relevant fields of refugee law, Strong analytical, problem solving and drafting skills. Discretion and sound judgment in applying legal expertise to sensitive, complex legal issues.
- Communication: Strong interpersonal and communication (written, spoken and presentational) skills. Proficiency in English and Kiswahili..
- Technology Awareness: Fully proficient computer skills and ability to use relevant software applications, in particular information databases, internet/intranet services, library sources, etc.
- Teamwork: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
The post Legal Intern at Refugee Consortium of Kenya (RCK) appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.