Alight Horn of Africa, on behalf of one of our subsidiary partners, is looking for a Nairobi-based Livelihoods Officer dedicated to supporting socially marginalized refugee groups
Are you passionate about topics such as migration and refugees? Do you have experience or a strong interest in international asylum systems and economic empowerment of marginalized groups? Have you got a great attention to detail and a bias to action? You may be a great fit for our organization!
Through our subsidiary partner, ORAM, we advocate for the protection of extremely vulnerable and marginalized refugees and asylum seekers who are fleeing persecution based on their identity and expression.**
This position will give you the opportunity to work directly with some of the most vulnerable and marginalized asylum seekers and refugees in Kenya and make a difference in their lives by supporting them with knowledge, tools and resources to become self-sufficient and live safer lives.
Duties include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Work closely with community-based organizations (CBOs) run by marginalized refugees in Nairobi, assessing their needs and the needs of their livelihoods initiatives as well as developing ideas for new business enterprises and programs;
- Identify areas and topics for skills trainings and identify like-minded expert trainers in the respective fields;
- Organize and facilitate skills training sessions;
- Co-create and support refugee-led community-based organizations in developing business plans and budgets;
- Foster and cultivate strong, meaningful new partnerships and relationships to help advance livelihoods programs with the community;
- Conduct regular site visits to places where livelihoods projects are being implemented e.g safe houses;
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of seed-funding and grants provided to CBOs for their livelihoods projects;
- Work in close contact with other organizations’ livelihoods officers;
- Provide technical support and advice to local business initiatives;
- Evaluate the organization’s projects on the ground;
- Provide regular reports to the organization’s Program Manager;
- Liaise with and provide oversight to the organization’s livelihoods activities and staff in Kakuma refugee camp;
- Act as the organization’s point person and ambassador in Kenya;
- Support other initiatives in the region as needed.
These are the “must-haves” when you join our organization:
Open heart and open mind.
Proactive and bias towards action.
We are also looking for the following experience and technical competencies:*
- 3-5 years of experience working in areas relevant to livelihoods projects: micro-finance, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, etc,;
- Experience working in asylum and migration;
- Knowledge and understanding of issues facing the most vulnerable and socially marginalized refugees and asylum seekers including sexual and gender minorities;**
- Proven ability to work with diverse communities;
- Dedication to inclusion of marginalized communities;
- Empathy and professionalism;
- Creativity and strong problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Ability to work remotely;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Strong networking and outreach skills; ability to connect with a wide range of stakeholders;
- An interest in asylum and migration;
- Discipline, strong organizational skills and attention to detail required;
- Knowledge of French and / or Swahili a plus.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya.