m-Lab East Africa: BUSINESS CONSULTANCY FIRM
m-Lab East Africa: BUSINESS CONSULTANCY FIRM
BUSINESS CONSULTANCY FIRM
Application Deadline: 05/02/2017
As a part of the Traction Camp Program, the m-Lab East Africa is seeking an experienced consultancy firm on a long term consultancy basis based in East Africa to create, build and coordinate a relationship between growth stage digital entrepreneurs and a network of investors in East Africa Region with the objective of enabling the entrepreneurs secure financial resources from the investors.
The m:lab East Africa is commencing the selection process through the release of this TOR. Qualified firms are invited to respond to this REOI. Selected firms will then be asked to submit a combined technical and financial proposal, meeting the requirements of the TOR.
The World Bank through infoDev will support m:lab East Africa, in order to enable it to extend its capacity and service portfolio to launch globally competitive, growth-oriented, mobile and digital technology businesses and further position it as a regional hub for the advancement of digital entrepreneurship.
The project activities build upon earlier pilots of T&C’s Digital Entrepreneurship Program (formerly Mobile Innovation Program), which designed, tested and derived lessons from 13 mobile business enablers (a network of five mLabs and eight mHubs) in Asia, Africa, ECA and the Caribbean.A key output of this project will be strengthening m:lab East Africa’s ability to serve growth-oriented (GO) entrepreneurs, particularly in regards to acceleration.
Traction Camp program will help the mLab; identify GO entrepreneurs, help them build links to wider value chains, enter new markets, secure finance and build a team to reach scale.The project team will provide technical assistance on the acceleration curriculum that is designed to improve the marketability of GO startups to early-stage financiers through emphasis on strengthening business and financial models, and outlining preparations for the capital raising process through detailed coursework on entrepreneurial finance.
Other project activities include business advisory and technical assistance to startups.
Project Development Objectives
The Traction Camp program objectives are:
- Support rapid refinement of business models towards scalability and expansion
- Facilitate human capital development among core startup team members
- Increasing investment readiness of entrepreneurs
- Enable startups to design effective monetization and customer acquisition strategies
Scope of work
The acceleration program will consist of:
- Two weeks of intensive mentoring and coaching before residential program
- One week residential (face-to-face) program hosted by m:lab East Africa
- Up to six months of follow up mentoring and coaching, intensity of which will be decided based on each entrepreneur’s performance and needs
The consultancy assignment is:
- Analysis of opportunities and barriers for digital technology entrepreneurs.
- Design and implementation, via local partners, of new approaches to support growth-oriented digital entrepreneurs.
- Convening and building capacity of mlab and partners within the program to deliver and scale these approaches.
- Review of alternative methods for accelerating the growth of digital technology enterprises, to derive insights, lessons and ideas.
- Evaluation of approaches and delivery of methodologies to enable partners to adapt and replicate effective solutions.
- Support staff (mlab) with capacity building, provide suggestions for improvements and recommendations for future actions beyond the grant.
- Provide Entrepreneurship Training with the MLAB in the Traction Camp program under the following terms:
- Training content in business shall be delivered in a modular, dynamic and relevant format with sessions based on provided course work
- Prepare the final report with the mlab team inclusive of technical inputs, suggestions for improvements and recommendations for future actions regarding the Traction Camp program as well as the services provided.
- Support monitoring and evaluation of business and advisory sessions by filing reports with entrepreneurs showing next steps for each session, attendance by entrepreneurs and potential gaps
- Design entrepreneurship training and mentoring as part of go-prenuer skill training under the following guidelines:
- Review existing course curriculum in use at the MLAB With coaches to develop learning experiences placement for the participants.
- Advice on models useful to participants for start-ups
- Facilitate additional knowledge sharing and also ensure accountability of deliverables.
- Refine business plans, revenue generation strategies, marketing, teams, financial models.
The firm will need to demonstrate expertise and experience in the following areas:
- Proven capacity to carry out the assignment and previous experience of successful completion of similar assignments (Business management / entrepreneurship seminars or workshops) in East Africa.
- Ability to travel to main location; Nairobi in Kenya
- Experience designing and delivering course curriculum and implementing training activities; Preferably in the developing world and emerging markets context.
- In-depth knowledge and experience with start-ups .
- Strong understanding of operating and business environment of – and preferably experience in working with enterprise enablers, such as m-Hubs/m-Labs, startup accelerators, and business incubators in developing countries and emerging markets.
- Ability to build the capacity of local organizations (experience with “Training the Trainers”)
- Open and collaborative communication style with excellent interpersonal skills.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications are to be sent to [email protected] by the 5th February 2017, indicate on the subject the relevant application position