Maize Breeder NGO Job Vacancies in Kenya
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an innovative scientist, for the position of Maize Breeder – Easter Africa to work in the Global Maize Program.
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s campus in Nairobi Kenya. The position may begin remotely from your home base or current location if organizational approval for the relocation to Kenya is delayed due to COVID 19.
Effectively drive CIMMYT maize product delivery for the breeding pipelines in eastern Africa.
- Through strong collaboration with the teams involved in line development, molecular breeding, phenotyping, and seed systems, ensure generation of high-quality data, statistical analysis and summary of results for stage-gate advancement.
- Enhance operational efficiency by regular review of the regional on-station trial data.
- Convene the Eastern Africa Maize Product Advancement Meetings with active and efficient engagement of internal and external stakeholders
- Work in close collaboration with the regional breeding and GIS team to optimize and align trial locations with product pipeline testing requirements.
- Effectively fulfill agreed-upon QA/QC and seed quality targets for Stage 4 hand-off to the seed systems team in eastern Africa.
- Strongly contribute to the goal of increasing genetic gains in CIMMYT’s eastern Africa maize breeding pipelines, including formulation, testing and identification of impactful hybrids.
- Provide leadership to a team of research technicians and drive ownership and accountability amongst the team members.
- Contribute effectively to the regional collaborative maize breeding network, and capacity building of partner institutions in eastern Africa.
- Ensure proper utilization of financial and human resources, as assigned by the program management.
- Contribute to the visibility of CIMMYT’s research, partnerships, and impacts, including publication of high-quality journal articles.
- Perform additional/other duties, as may be assigned by the supervisor and Program Director.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Strong interest in applied maize breeding.
- A recent PhD degree in breeding or genetics, preferably with Maize or other cereals.
- Experience with genetics, modern breeding methods (e.g. genomic selection, quantitative genetics theory).
- Statistical skills, knowledge of electronic data collection, databases, data management and interpretation.
- An ability to communicate and collaborate effectively and build capacity.
- Demonstrated capacity to publish research findings in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively and respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- Significant amount of national and international travel will be required
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Problem Solving and decision making, Communication and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
How to Apply
Candidates must apply here for IRS21117_Maize Breeder – Eastern Africa. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Thursday, March 4th, 2021. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at [email protected]
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.