Market Systems/Value Chain Specialist at RTI International
RTI is currently seeking to fill a vacancy for the Kenya Crops & Dairy Market Systems (KCDMS) Activity which is part of the Feed the Future program, America’s initiative to combat global hunger and poverty. In this regard, USAID is partnering with RTI International on a 5-year (Oct 2017 to Sept 2022) cooperative agreement – KCDMS Activity – to help increase agricultural production and reduce poverty and malnutrition in Kenya. The project will also spur competitive, resilient market systems in Kenya’s horticulture and dairy sectors. We seek to recruit a Market Systems/Value Chain Specialist to be based in the Nairobi office.
The Market Systems/Value Chain Specialist is responsible for leading Priority Area 1, Competitive, Inclusive and Resilient Agricultural Market Systems. S/he will be responsible for managing day to day activities with private sector agricultural value chain actors. This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to Western and Eastern Kenya.
- Leads development of project market systems development strategy in line with the principles of facilitation and making markets work for the poor (M4P)
- Designs and facilitates capacity building activities for lead firms (agribusinesses)
- Oversees access to finance and business development services activities
- Leads project collaboration and learning around market systems development; Participates regularly in learning events; Contributes to the design of studies to inform implementation.
- Contributes to the development of a Partnerships and Innovation Fund (grants) to catalyse private agribusiness investment and the strengthening of market systems; Participates in the selection of grantees
- Collaborates with other Priority Area Leads to design coordinated interventions.
- Builds capacity of project staff on the market systems approach.
- Assists in the development of scopes of work for local grantees and subcontractors; Oversees local partner performance.
- Contributes to project activity monitoring, including quarterly and annual reporting.
- Supervises a team of approximately 10 staff, including staff in regional offices.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in business administration, public administration, economics, agricultural or rural development and at least 10 years international experience with successful market systems development projects with management responsibility. An MBA is an added advantage.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience on projects with similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries.
- Demonstrated success in implementing projects aimed at increasing the competitiveness and inclusiveness of market systems using facilitation approaches.
- Education and technical expertise in a field related to agricultural development such as: agricultural economics, marketing, agribusiness management or related fields.
- Demonstrated success using facilitation in at least one of the following: the USAID value chain approach, M4P, or Market Systems Development approach, which led to greater competitiveness and inclusiveness in markets.
- Private sector experience is a plus.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written skills in English. Fluency in Kiswahili preferred
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative across projects, flexible and creative
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and accuracy
Do not apply if you had applied.
No applicant will ever be asked for any payment either to secure a role with RTI International or as a follow-up to having been awarded a position with RTI International. If anyone ever approaches you asking for any such payment, please immediately email [email protected]
The post Market Systems/Value Chain Specialist at RTI International appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.