National Technical Expert (Deputy Team Leader) at SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
For more information on our operations in Kenya and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org
Opportunities for Rural Youth Employment in Kenya (ORYE Kenya) Programme – (Subject to Project Award) which is an anticipated GIZ-funded programme seeks to improve the overall training and employment situation in rural areas of Western Kenya, especially for young people and women. SNV, in a consortium with Welthungerhilfe, is in the process of designing a youth employment programme that specifically focuses on employment opportunities in the agricultural sector in five counties in Western Kenya, namely: Siaya, Bungoma, Kakamega, Kisumu and Vihiga. The programme is part of a global rural youth employment project that is coordinated by a GIZ steering unit in Germany.
The programme has two key fields of action:
1. Business environment and improved access to inputs, services and markets which aims to ensure that Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), smallholder farmers/cooperatives and start-ups benefit from new or improved access to inputs (including land), services (including financial services) and markets to better start or grow their business.
2. Strengthening the demand for labour which aims at identifying and developing employment potentials for the rural youth with reference to the agricultural and food sector (i.e. cross-value chain support, coaching & mentoring, better access to markets, etc.).
Reporting to the Team Leader, the National Technical expert will act as an expert for technical and administrative management of the project responsible for coordinating and conducting all project activities on ground. The expert will ensure regular reporting in accordance with GIZ requirements and will be responsible for results-based monitoring for anticipated impacts of proposed activities.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Act as the deputy team leader and as an expert for the technical and administrative management of the programme.
- Support agricultural enterprises and Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), in line with set indicators, to implement employment-promoting practices (employability skills demand identification; expansion, diversification, intensification of business activities).
- Support to youth-inclusive business models in combination with market-based employability skills training and business coaching of aspiring youth in agricultural value chains.
- Identification of demands for inputs, services and markets by MSME, start-ups and small holders/cooperatives
- Identification of business models for demanded, production-related inputs and services and for improved access to markets
- Facilitation of contract farming schemes for improved access to markets
- Development of new training materials for input and service providers
- Creation of linkage to existing advisory and qualification structures, especially in the non-formal Agriculture Technical Vocational Education and Training (ATVET)
- Ensure development of training materials for small holders and cooperatives.
- Coordinating and conducting programme activities on the ground
- Regular reporting of programme activities according to GIZ requirements
- Responsible for results-based monitoring of anticipated impacts of activities
- University qualification in agriculture, agribusiness, or related fields; A master’s degree will be an advantage.
- Very good business language skills in English and Swahili;
- General professional experience in Agricultural Value Chain Development, Agricultural production
- Specific professional experience in services around agriculture, contract farming, cooperation with the private sector, farmer organisations;
- 5 years leadership/management experience;
- 7 years of work experience in Kenya;
- 4 years of experience in Developing Cooperation projects;
Contract Duration: 2 years with possibility of extension subject to good performance.
Desired start date: Subject to Project award
The post National Technical Expert (Deputy Team Leader) at SNV Netherlands Development Organisation appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.