Operations Associate – Nairobi
Contract terms: Full-time (though part-time candidates will be considered with availability of 30+ hrs a week)
Location/Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Closes: November 1, 2020
Projected start date: January 1, 2021
Reports to: Regional Hub Director – East Africa
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more 250,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need. HOT works closely with humanitarian and development partners including the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, World Bank, and UN OCHA, among others. HOT is excited to expand regional support in East Africa with the opening of our Hub in Nairobi, as part of the Audacious Project.
HOT is looking for someone passionate about, and experienced in, international development and humanitarian action. You should be able to work within a fast-paced, international organization responding to urgent crises and persistent development issues. You should be excited about working with an international team and ready to travel to work with different teams in the field. You should be familiar with the operations and internal functions of international NGOs and knowledgeable about the sector. You will work on a broad range of tasks and projects and have exposure to all aspects of the functioning of the organization and support the opening of our Hub office in Nairobi.
- Lead logistical set-up for physical office space in Nairobi
- Assist with regional recruitment by supporting the Senior Talent Manager and Global HR Associate in position advertising, scheduling and conducting interviews, and other support as needed
- Support the onboarding processes for new hires, including training and documentation as well as managing adaptations of global HOT practices for regional context
- Act as HR liaison between the East Africa Hub and HQ, working with the Hub Director to keep HQ informed of HR-related updates and needs
- Lead asset management system for Hub, including entry, maintenance, audit and training of other staff
- Support analysis and development of processes for Operations, and adaptation for Hub regional office
- Lead new vendor identification, procurement and onboarding
- Research and advising on new systems and processes for operations, HR and finance
- Support gender, diversity & inclusivity initiatives
- Train Hub/regional staff on new organizational processes and systems and manage adaptations for regional context
- Support creation and dissemination of printed and promotional materials for regional Hub
- Support new business development through proposals and other fundraising initiatives
- Support planning and running of annual international HOT Summit & other events support as necessary
- Support travel management & bookings for conferences, staff meetings, etc.
- A Bachelor’s or greater degree in International Relations, International Development, Non-Profit Management, Social Sciences, or similar
- Passionate about humanitarian action and international development
- 1-3 years experience in non-profit, non-governmental organizations and international systems
- Familiarity with GSuite
- Quick learning and adoption of new systems, softwares and processes
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A good sense of humour and willingness to learn
Compensation & Benefits
- HOT values salary transparency and equity. All HOT salaries globally are set according to a framework detailed on our website.
- HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, a variety of health care options, retirement savings plans, and 24 days of annual leave for all full-time employees, in addition to 12 paid holidays.
How to apply
Please complete the form linked here. Continue to the second page to upload your CV/resume. Your CV/resume should not exceed 2 pages. Applicants chosen for an interview should expect to hear from HOT in early to mid-November via email. Please check your spam folder.