Payroll Specialist Accountant
HIAS Refugee Trust of Kenya (HRTK) – Kenya Office
Vacancy Notice-Kenyan Nationals Only
Job Title: Payroll Specialist Accountant
Reporting to: Head of Finance and Operations
Duration: 11 months Contract with possibility of renewal subject to availability of funding and performance
HIAS is an international nonprofit organization with a vision for a world in which refugees, displaced persons and asylum seekers find welcome, safety and freedom. HIAS operation in Kenya was established in 2002 with the mission to serve the most vulnerable refugees through protection, resilience, economic inclusion and provision of durable solutions.
Organizationally, HIAS is guided by its Refugee Rights Framework. This rights-based approach, based on international human rights, humanitarian and refugee law and practice, provides a programming framework for HIAS’ focus on refugee protection. This framework prioritizes programming impact that ensures forcibly displaced people realize their potential and become contributors to society, with this impact being achieved through the realization of legal and civil rights and social and economic rights including through 1) the right to protection from harm, violence and discrimination, 2) the right to recovery from the shock of displacement, and 3) the right to economic self-sufficiency and inclusion. HIAS works with communities’ natural systems in order to optimize support for Persons of Specific Needs. This approach enables HIAS to meet the safety, psychosocial, economic, and justice needs of PSNs; facilitate their access to appropriate care. HIAS seeks to recruit a Payroll specialist Accountant whose main objective will be to maintain and improve compensation system of HIAS Kenya.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
· Preparation and processing of payroll for employees in the organization on a monthly basis
· Preparation and processing of monthly statutory/voluntary deductions for payment
· Maintain and review personnel timesheets on a monthly basis
· Manage organization payroll budget and expenses
· Address and resolve employee correspondence relating to the payroll system, that is the P9 Forms, Payslips, updating of voluntary deductions.
· Manage monthly payroll reconciliation
· Prepare monthly payroll allocation journal entries
- Entering and posting of payment transactions into the Great Plains Accounting System(GP) once approved by the Head of Finance and Operations
· Prepare and facilitate donor verification exercises in review of payroll back -ups and vouching of supporting documents on needs basis;
- Assist in the preparation and coordination of project and institutional audit of books of accounts by internal and external auditors;
· Participate in projects’ budget preparation exercises on needs basis
- Assist in preparation of budgetary control reports and burnrates for donors/projects’ as assigned on a needs basis.
· Assist in preparation of monthly, quarterly and mid- year donor financial reports for submission to the Head of Finance and Operations.
Skills & Competencies
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Accounting preferred, CPA (K)
· Proven experience in a payroll position in a fast-paced environment required
· 4 to 5 years’ experience as a Payroll Specialist
· Strong knowledge of tax and wage laws
· Good understanding of the common fiscal procedures
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong computer literacy including Microsoft Office applications
· Exceptional multitasking and organizational skills
· Able to work effectively with minimal supervision
· Trustworthy with attention to confidentiality
· Outstanding organizational ability with great attention to detail
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to
[email protected] indicating the Vacancy Number HRTK/PS/10/2020 on the subject line. Closing Date: 28th October, 2020. Kindly indicate your expected salary.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Late applications will not be considered.
HRTK is an equal opportunity employer, does not charge candidates for recruitment and dissociates itself from any entity defrauding candidates.