Portfolio Manager – AfriFI Kenya Challenge Fund
The Portfolio Manager will be responsible for the management of the agri-enterprise portfolio assigned to him/her. This will include pipeline generation through networking, information sessions etc. The Portfolio Manager will also provide leadership in the project refinement for contracting for each company within his/her portfolio. She/He will monitor implementation progress, participate in M&E activities, conduct due diligence/capacity assessments, provide technical assistance and coaching to the portfolio of selected agri-businesses.
Application and selection processes
- Plan and deliver sensitisation and information sharing events for applicants
- Conduct due diligence and assess project suitability for the fund using agreed tools for shortlisted applicants to be reviewed by Independent Investment Committee.
- Review match funding plans for proposed projects
- Developing a results framework for the shortlisted applicants, in collaboration with the M&E officers
- Support shortlisted applicants to draw up loan applications to EIB partner banks, in collaboration with banks’ relationship managers
Grantee management and support
Manage a portfolio of agri-enterprises to fulfil their contractual obligations and to deliver the stated results. Specific tasks include the following:
- Act as the lead contact for an assigned number of agri-enterprises and maintain frequent and regular communication with them;
- Facilitate technical assistance (training, coaching and mentoring) to the agri-enterprises after the award to ensure increased value chain integration and sustainable and profitable operations.
- Facilitate agri-enterprises in networking, business-to-business linkages and strengthening their supply chain.
- Build relationships with EIB partner banks and disseminate information on available financial services
- Assess the agri-enterprises capacity needs and design and provide activities that build their capacity
- Monitor programme performance to enable early anticipation of necessary adjustments to plans and budgets
- Provide guidance in the preparation of quarterly milestone reporting
Programme quality, monitoring and reporting
Work in close liaison with the agri-enterprises and other stakeholders, including SHA programme staff, to coordinate coherent and consistent delivery of the programme objectives. Specific tasks include the following:
- Support programme management on all aspects of the programme cycle: design, planning, implementation, quality and accountability, monitoring and evaluation.
- In liaison with the Country Team Technical Advisors ensure effective integration of core technical areas – Nutrition, Social Inclusion, Gender, Enterprise Development, Agriculture and Natural Resource Management.
- Provide technical input for the implementation of the programme including in the preparation of work plans, strategies, training materials, guides and manuals
- Facilitate effective communication between SHA and stakeholders for effective programme management;
- In conjunction with the M&E Officers, conduct monitoring and evaluation of the selected agri-enterprises outputs and compile periodic programme reports as required by the donors and SHA;
- Work with the Communications Officer to capture learning emerging from the programme
- Represent AgriFI at government, donor, NGO and other relevant events in the field in close coordination with the Team Leader and the Country Management Team.
Operations and compliance
- Support the Team Leader to ensure compliance by SHA and partners with contract requirements in planning, financial management, procurement, monitoring and reporting, and facilitate further training where necessary.
- Identify, assess and report on risk elements within the projects and wider programme.
- Support the Team in programme design and fundraising initiatives that contribute to the growth of the AgriFI Kenya Challenge fund programme
Any other duty assigned on occasion by the line manager.
Knowledge and experience
- At least five years’ experience in the implementation of agri-business/enterprise development projects with mentoring and support to agri-enterprises within value chains or related projects, at a mid/senior level.
- Strong project management skills with an in-depth understanding of business decision-making in competitive market environments; inclusive subsector development and value chain/Market Systems Development.
- Strong analytical skills for appraising business case reports and audited financials with an understanding of performance contracting, follow-up, and execution
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team building skills
- Familiarity and experience with EU regulations preferred
- Excellent report writing skills and ability to present results succinctly and for a varied audience.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, agri-business, or economics required;
- Strong computer skills especially with MS Word and Excel and other related packages
- Have a consistent record in business development and exceptional Relationship Management skills
- Have good commercial acumen and credit understanding
- Tech savvy and can use emerging technology with ease
- Passionate about supporting agri-enterprises and its role in regional economies
- Ability to analyse and interpret financial and research information
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong interest in agriculture and the environment
- Ability to communicate technical information to non‐technical people
How to apply
Visit https://selfhelpafrica.org/ie/category/careers-kenya/ for full job description and details on how to apply. Closing date: 31st July 2020
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Garda/Police vetting is required.
Women applicants are highly encouraged; Self Help Africa is an Equal Opportunities Employer