Principal Engineer – Backend (Technology) at Andela
Andela provides companies with access to the top 1% of global tech talent. We identify high-potential developers on the African continent, shape them into world-class technical leaders, and pair them with companies as full-time, distributed team members. Accelerate your product roadmap while minimizing time spent interviewing, on-boarding, and training new hires. Andela is backed by investors including Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV, Spark Capital, Omidyar Network, Susa Ventures, Steve Case, Founder Collective, Learn Capital and more. Learn more about us at www.andela.com. Specialties
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
What You’ll Do
In this role, you will work as a Principal Backend Engineer within the Technology organization, building world-class internal and customer facing products to support Andela’s business needs.
Our Andelan Principal Engineers are renowned for their technical prowess. They are admired and respected for the depth of their technical expertise and leadership.
- Use your expert knowledge to deliver complex software solutions that will delight our partners around the world.
- Make meaningful and impactful technical decisions with a keen understanding of the operational ramifications.
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andela’s systems.
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas, and approaches.
- Provide technical leadership to fast-paced teams, while delivering value, unparalleled enthusiasm, and a relentless commitment to excellence.
- Build great software while continuously learning and expanding your skill set.
What You’ll Bring
All Andela engineers go above and beyond. To find out more about additional suggested competencies, check out our engineer framework.
A minimum of 6 years professional experience, during which you’ve built deep technical expertise and demonstrated technical leadership.
- Deep knowledge of database design, development and processing concepts, e.g query definition, db optimization, schema design, ORM, etc.
- Expertise in design and management of large scale, secure, cloud based software deployment environments
- Expert level understanding of application containerization and orchestration techniques
- Deep knowledge of client-server and multi-tier architectures
- Expertise in different automated test strategies (unit/integration/acceptance)
- Working knowledge of Test Coverage and Code Maintainability tools
- Strong ability to problem-solve, debug, and understand pertinent performance metrics
- Extensive experience with architecture and design principles, building to consider maintainability, performance, security requirements, and impact
- Excellent soft skills that enable you to lead and empower your team, and deliver the highest value
- Mentorship experience that helps others in approaching and solving for ambiguous efforts
- Working knowledge of Agile development practices and associated tools
- Strong understanding of business practices, engineering process, and industry trends
- Expertise with the following specific tools:
- Google Cloud Platform
- GraphQL based webservices
- NestJS application framework
- TypeORM and Postgres
- Modern Angular application development
- Containerization tools, Docker, Kubernetes
- Cloud based CI/CD tools, CircleCI, CodeClimate
What You’ll Get
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The post Principal Engineer – Backend (Technology) at Andela appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – http://jobcenterkenya.com/.