Program Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Analyst, HCDExchange
The HCDExchange is a community of implementers, funders, designers, evaluators and youth committed to advancing learning and practice related to the integration of human-centered design (HCD) and adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) in low-resource settings, with a particular focus on countries in Sub Saharan Africa and South Asia. The HCDExchange aims to elevate young people’s agency, and systematically transform sexual and reproductive health outcomes for adolescents.
In 2018, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Flora & William Hewlett Foundation, and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation funded a convening in Tanzania bringing together people and organizations working at the intersection of HCD in ASRH. This gathering showcased best practices, generated interest, and resulted in the launch of working groups to advance this field. More importantly, those involved started to see themselves as a community with a shared agenda.
In 2020, this same set of funders is supporting the next phase of this work — the HCDExchange — a community built on a collaborative model and dedicated to (1) establishing a supportive infrastructure, and (2) facilitating commitment amongst key actors. Our vision: a democratized (inclusive of diverse participants), localized (contextually relevant), and mutualized (jointly owned) HCD/ASRH field. During this phase, we are accelerating the development of a robust, efficient, and transparent HCD/ASRH field by increasing access to learning and networks and generating evidence about good practices, models, and effectiveness.
The Program, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (PMEL) Analyst:
The HCDExchange team is searching for a Programs, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (PMEL) Analyst based in Nairobi with willingness to travel in the region. As an integral member of the team, the candidate will play a crucial technical and analytical role in the HCDExchange’s activities, implement projects, help to generate new business and provide management and administrative support as required.
Our ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial mindset, is passionate, energetic, and curious, and a flexible and adaptive thinker. He/she is team-oriented with a demonstrated ability to get things done, build and sustain momentum with activities and partners, and seeks robust, creative solutions to problems.
She/he is highly organized and system and process-oriented to enable themselves and the team to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines. S/he has a passion and desire to learn and build deeper skills in monitoring, learning and evaluation, an affinity for data and analytics, systems thinking, multi-disciplinary approaches and places users at the center of designed solutions.
The PMEL Analyst will work under the direction and supervision of the HCDExchange Director. This role includes collaborating with the broader HCDExchange team including staff, consultants, youth leadership hub, advisory committee, partners, and technical community working groups with different backgrounds and across time zones.
Roles and responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Work under the direction and guidance of the HCDExchange Director or other Senior Advisors, communicating proactively and effectively, and multi-tasking to execute tasks and deliverables on time and with quality outputs.
● Collaborate with HCDExchange team members, youth leadership hub, technical and community working groups, advisory committee to develop and implement work plans
● Provide technical and operational support in the implementation of HCDExchange learning agenda, program improvement strategies, management approaches and interventions at all implementation levels and for all clients and partners, traveling as and when needed
● Develop and update internal HCDExchange Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) framework, tools and systems such as monthly performance dashboards, tracker for the knowledge products from the community, progress and learning tracker, etc.
● Support the Community Manager with knowledge management systems and infrastructure – including but not limited to maintaining the HCDExchange’s member database, project team’s contacts, developing and managing learning products on dashboards.
● Support in conducting regular review and analysis of project and program monitoring indicators into a HCDExchange dashboard. Demonstrate a data curious mindset to continuously develop new or improve existing analytics to enhance data use for decision making and management for the HCDExchange and community of practice.
● Support documentation and reporting of processes, success stories, experiences and sharing of lessons learned within the HCDExchange and ensure their dissemination in line with the organizational, donor and HCDExchange community learning requirements.
● Provide administrative support to the HCDExchange Director, and the broader HCDExchange teams for convenings, virtual consultations, and meetings.
● Participate in routine technical calls and meetings with the project team. Proactively and regularly communicate and coordinate with project team members on progress of project activities and provide detailed notes of all key stakeholder meetings. Communicate and disseminate information and reports to relevant stakeholders on a regular basis.
● Serve as a representative of HCDExchange, including participation in working groups and provide key linkage with partners on the ground to ensure support and sustainability. Give and attend debriefings as HCDExchange representative; participate in conferences; report on key information to other team members.
● Provide analytical support both internally and externally to projects, new business opportunities, and proposals through:
o Gathering and interpreting relevant data
o Investigating problems, finding root causes, and developing solutions
o Generating reports for internal and external partners and donors
o Explore and adapt visuals and analytics to support all projects
● Demonstrate commitment to the HCDExchange mission and progressively master a wide range of management skills, and increase multidisciplinary competencies
● Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience.
Given that the Programs Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Analyst position is a stepping-stone to an Advisor/Specialist role, HCDExchange is searching for a Kenyan candidate who is interested in growing with us as we evolve, and is open to and actively seeks regular and specific feedback about all aspects of professional and personal growth.
The PMEL Analyst will be expected to commit to an implementation model that includes continuous self-assessment and improvement, both professionally and personally, and peer-to-peer learning and support, all using a variety of performance improvement techniques and a competency framework. S/he has a strong background in monitoring and evaluation, complemented by experience in program management, youth programming, adolescent sexual and reproductive health, and human-centered design.
Applicants for this position should possess the following minimum qualifications:
● Bachelor’s degree in project planning, monitoring, and evaluation, social sciences, public health, or related field required.
● At least five years’ work experience, with a minimum of two years working in adolescent sexual health programming.
● Ability to work comfortably with virtually collaborative tools for intuitive project/task management, document management, customizable dashboards, time tracking, easy communication, and at-a-glance calendar management.
● Knowledge and experience working with human-centered design highly desirable.
● Prior experience working with communities of practice highly desirable.
● Experience in working with digital communication tools is an added advantage.
● Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, and organizational skills.
● Ability to coordinate varied tasks, work independently, and manage work plans.
● Ability to work as part of an internationally diverse team.
● Ability to travel 20%-30% time within East Africa, with occasional international travel possible.
The following skills are highly desirable:
● Quantitative, qualitative research and analytical skills, including experience with mining, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of data.
● Familiarity and skills with using excel for analysis, statistical software and/or data visualization software.
● Experience in any of the following program areas: adolescent sexual and reproductive health, family planning, behavioral economics.
● Fluency or conversance in French.
This is a full-time position based in Nairobi, Kenya. We offer excellent benefits.
Position Type: Full-time
Hiring Manager: Director, HCDExchange
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start date: August 1st, 2020
How to apply
To apply please submit your application to [email protected]. Your application should include your CV (indicating all past relevant experiences), and cover letter (describing in a captivating manner why you consider yourself the unicorn for this role). The application deadline is COB July 10, 2020, with applications reviewed and considered on a rolling basis as received.